Thousands hit due to bus strike in Haryana (Lead)June 8th, 2011 - 5:47 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, June 8 (IANS) Bus commuters had a tough time in Haryana Wednesday as Haryana Roadways employees went on a day’s strike to denounce the government’s privatisation policy.
The large fleet of state-run roadways buses went off the roads across the state following a strike call by the Haryana Roadways Karamchari Sangharsh Samiti.
Employees staged protests in different towns including Rohtak, Sonepat, Jhajjar and Hisar.
Harayan Roadways, which plies both within and outside the state, has a fleet of 3,211 buses and more than 16,000 employees.
“We are totally against the privatisation of Haryana Roadways,” union leader Rattan Singh told IANS. “Hundreds of drivers and conductors have gone on strike.”
The strike was called against the proposed allotment of 2,700 permits to private bus operators. Union leaders say that instead of privatisation, the government should fill vacant posts in Haryana Roadways.
The Haryana government has warned the striking employees.
“Strict action will be taken against errant employees,” an official said.
The Haryana government has imposed restrictions in different districts to restrain the unions from protesting near bus stands.
The worst hit were bus passengers.
Said one of them, Ramesh Rana: “I had to reach my office in Rohtak at 10 a.m. As I did not get any bus, I hired a taxi at 10 times the price of bus fare.”
- Haryana bus strike hits thousands (Second Lead) - Jun 08, 2011
- Haryana Roadways employees' strike harasses people - Jun 08, 2011
- Cops escort buses in Haryana as unions go on strike - Feb 28, 2012
- Strike hits bus services in Punjab, Haryana - Sep 07, 2010
- Strike affects banking services in Punjab, Haryana (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Bus services paralysed in Haryana after staff strike - Mar 31, 2010
- Himachal bus strike hits commuters hard (Second Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- Curfew in Hisar after Jats' violently protest for quota - Sep 14, 2010
- Mamata urges people to foil strike, CPI-M says it will be a success - Feb 27, 2012
- INLD leader gunned down in Haryana - Feb 24, 2011
- Rioting, blockade over power cuts in Hooda's district - Sep 02, 2012
- Curfew in Hisar, army help sought as violence intensifies - Sep 14, 2010
- Haryana sets up police stations to check power, water theft - Feb 05, 2011
- Shutdown affects life in Punjab (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Queen's Baton enters Haryana - Sep 26, 2010
Tags: allotment, bus fare, bus passengers, bus strike, buses, commuters, conductors, fleet, haryana government, haryana roadways, operators union, private bus operators, privatisation policy, protests, rattan, strict action, striking employees, union leader, union leaders, vacant posts