There are a lot of us, says daily on Pakistan’s populationJuly 11th, 2011 - 2:37 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, July 11 (IANS) Pakistan is entering a period of severe water and power shortages and a demographic that has a youth bulge which is fast becoming a threat rather than an opportunity, said a daily on World Population Day.
An editorial in the News International Monday said: “There are a lot of us, 187 million by the most recent estimate.”
“The average age is 21.6 years which makes us an extremely young population by global standards…We give birth to 24.81 children for every 1,000 of the population every year and, thanks to better healthcare (yes, really) and diet (also yes, really) 6.92 of us per 1,000 die every year.”
It said that Pakistanis were highly susceptible to a range of diseases.
On literacy, the editorial said about 63 percent of men and about 36 percent of women have basic literacy “but it is very basic indeed, and as of 2008 we spent 2.9 percent of the GDP on education - which more or less guarantees that we will remain at the back of the queue developmentally for a long time to come”.
It noted that the country’s population was bigger than that of Bangladesh and smaller than that of Brazil.
Sounding a note of caution, it said: “…If the ship goes down, we go with it.”
“The part of the planet to which we are steward - Pakistan - is entering a period of severe water and power shortages which could present existential threats and a demographic that has a youth bulge which is fast becoming a threat rather than an opportunity.”
“For us, World Population Day is a note of caution - but notes of caution we rarely hear, or heed if we do.”
- India should focus on its young, say experts - Oct 31, 2011
- India's population is 1.21 billion, gender imbalance worsens (Roundup) - Mar 31, 2011
- Growth rate of Tibetan exiles plummets - Dec 11, 2010
- Pakistanis want change from old order, says daily - May 11, 2012
- Growing population a bigger threat than terror: Pakistani daily - Apr 18, 2011
- Fertility rate declines in Karnataka: Expert - Oct 27, 2011
- Canada cautions against complacency after Osama death - May 03, 2011
- Breast cancer is a major killer in Pakistan - Jan 12, 2012
- 'Polio a huge embarrassment for Pakistan' - Mar 23, 2012
- Restructure Pakistan's education system: Daily - Feb 20, 2012
- Daily rues Pakistan's ghost schools - Jul 21, 2012
- CPI-M slams UPA's idea of 'Har Hath Mein Phone' - Aug 12, 2012
- 28pc of U.S. women have kids by more than one man - Apr 02, 2011
- US firm invests in Indonesia's media industry - Oct 18, 2011
- Pakistani daily pays tribute to child prodigy who died - Jan 16, 2012
Tags: 6 years, bangladesh, brazil, bulge, caution, diet, diseases, existential threats, gdp, global standards, guarantees, literacy, long time, news international, pakistan, pakistanis, power shortages, steward, water and power, world population day