The worlds cheapest car, Tata NanoFebruary 28th, 2009 - 10:22 am ICT by Amrit Rashmisrisethi
India’s manufactured vehicle, Tata Nano is subjected to be the world’s cheapest car and will be in the display showrooms from sale in April, announced by the Tata Motors.
Delayed for several months, four-door Nano, nicknamed “The People’s Car,” has attracted global attention because of its price tag of 100,000 rupees (slightly less than $2,000) for its base model.
Nano car will be officially launched at a function in Mumbai on March 21, said a spokesman for Tata Motors, India’s largest vehicle manufacturer and part of the larger Tata Group. The Nano will be distributed in dealerships during the first week of April, and reservations for purchase will begin one week later. Exact price and distribution details are pending for the much-touted vehicle originally scheduled for debut last October.
As reported Tata Motors have had it first quarterly loss in seven years.
Surprisingly, the Tata Motors became a talk of the global automotive world with its 2.3-billion-dollar purchase of British luxury brands Jaguar and Land Rover. But with the international economic downturn, the purchase has become a financial catastrophe.
According to Tata Motors representatives, full production of the Nano will take 1 1/2 years and only a limited supply of the vehicle will be available this spring. The Nano has also triggered competition among auto companies, including Nissan-Renault, to make low-cost cars in India.
- Nissan to make diesel engines in India - Nov 17, 2011
- Jaguar Land Rover opens first plant in India - May 27, 2011
- Tata Motors global sales grows 27 percent in December - Jan 16, 2012
- Luxury car makers target India's small-town boom - Feb 05, 2012
- Tata Motors unveils Safari variant, concept cars - Jan 05, 2012
- Fiat to manage distribution of Indian subsidiary - May 02, 2012
- Nissan launches diesel variant of mid-size sedan Sunny - Dec 12, 2011
- Mega-launches, big-ticket announcements at Delhi Auto Expo - Jan 03, 2012
- Eaton in talks with car makers for its superchargers - Sep 06, 2011
- Tata Motors to build 2,000 Land Rovers a year in Pune plant - Mar 02, 2011
- Tata Motors tweaks Nano, claims improved mileage - Nov 21, 2011
- Indian auto industry in top gear despite global gloom (Flashback 2009) - Dec 25, 2009
- Nissan Motor to ramp up distribution - Dec 13, 2010
- Nano tops Tata Motors sales in April - May 01, 2011
- Tata Motors global sales up 26 percent in March - Apr 16, 2012
Tags: auto companies, base model, distribution details, dollar purchase, economic downturn, exact price, financial catastrophe, global attention, limited supply, luxury brands, march 21, nano, nissan renault, price tag, quarterly loss, rupees, showrooms, tata group, tata motors india, vehicle manufacturer