Thailand’s Pranda Jewelry mulls unit in IndiaAugust 4th, 2008 - 6:53 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Aug 4 (IANS) The Thailand-based $150-million jewellery manufacturing group Pranda Jewellery will set up a manufacturing unit in India, a top company official said here Monday. “We will invest in India. In Mumbai, there is a gold jewellery industry cluster. However, at present we intend to import the jewellery from Thailand,” group chairman Prida Tiasuwan told reporters.
In India, Pranda has joined hands with Gunjan Jewels of Mumbai to float a 51:49 joint venture - Pranda Jewellery Pvt Ltd - to market imported jewellery.
The Prima range will be marketed through a network of jewellery shops, but the joint venture will open its own showrooms later.
“Retailers will sell our range after adding their margin. The margin will be controlled,” Tiasuwan said.
He said the free trade agreement between India and Thailand has facilitated the group’s entry into this country.
“India is the world’s biggest jewellery market and has an untapped market for 24 carat gold,” Tiasuwan said.
In a country where gold jewellery is largely bought both as an investment and as a fashion accessory, the Prima range will mainly address the affluent fashion-conscious jewellery buyers, and will be twice as expensive as 24 carat gold.
The jewellery range is targeted at upper middle class and rich fashion conscious buyers.
Tiasuwan said Pranda will also launch its Cai range of silver jewellery in India.
According to Vinod Tejwani, managing director of the Indian joint venture, the company hopes to touch a turnover of Rs.3 billion by 2010.
“We will invest around Rs.1 billion in brand building and expanding our distribution network,” he said.
- Shree Ganesh Jewellery in JV with Italian firm for Rs.100 cr plant - Oct 28, 2011
- Jewellers criticise hike in import duty on gold - Mar 16, 2012
- Gold rush before Dhanteras: Jewellers - Oct 23, 2011
- Men too want diamond-studded rings - Nov 09, 2010
- Pakistani textile brand to open 200 stores in India - Apr 14, 2012
- India gets it's first jewellery week - Aug 10, 2010
- Mumbai hosts Thai jewellery exhibition - Dec 02, 2010
- Nissan to export 20 percent of mini-vans made in India - Jul 31, 2011
- Indian designs sparkled at jewellery week (Review) - Aug 20, 2010
- Gold traders on Akshaya Tritiya high - Apr 23, 2012
- Export Promotion Council to organise jewellery exhibition - Jul 04, 2010
- Now comes Rajasthan Fashion Week! - Mar 28, 2012
- 2012 not to be a shining year for Indian gems and jewellery - May 09, 2012
- Designers to sparkle at India's first jewellery week (Curtain Raiser) - Aug 14, 2010
- Chuck white this summer, don coloured accessories - May 03, 2012
Tags: 24 carat gold, conscious buyers, country india, distribution network, fashion accessory, free trade agreement, gold jewellery, group chairman, industry cluster, jewellery buyers, jewellery shops, manufacturing group, pranda, prida, rs 1, showrooms, silver jewellery, thailand group, untapped market, upper middle class