Thailand, Mumbai firms to design Shivaji’s sea statueAugust 26th, 2009 - 12:14 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 25 (IANS) Maharashtra Tuesday approved the design for a 309-foot tall statue of Chhatrapati Shivaji and an entertainment complex that would come up in the Arabian Sea south of this financial capital. The designs selected were from firms in Thailand and Mumbai, officials said here Tuesday.
The state cabinet approved the designs for the proposed Rs.3.5 billion statue of the warrior king astride a horse, and a huge multi-utilities complex around it submitted by Besel Design Studios, Thailand, and Team One Architect Co, Mumbai, a state government spokesperson said.
The official said the statue would be taller than the Statue of Liberty overlooking the New York harbour in the US, and would become a world-class monument symbolizing Mumbai.
The designs were selected in an international competition in which 11 global consultants took part, he added.
The statue will come up in the Arabian Sea, one kilometre opposite the famed Marine Drive in south Mumbai with the Malabar Hill on the northern end and the business district of Nariman Point on the southern side.
While the seafront would offer an unhindered view of the statue, the complex in the sea would provide a spectacular view of the city as well.
To be managed and maintained by the state tourism department, the entire complex would have facilities for a multi-lingual sound-and-light show depicting Chhatrapati Shivaji’s life, a museum, restaurants, a 200-seater theatre, a garden and public conveniences, according to the spokesperson.
- Move to erect Shivaji statue in Arabian Sea rejected - Mar 15, 2012
- Chavan says Shivaji memorial in sea is on - Mar 20, 2012
- Mumbai airport's cost escalation: Shivaji statue in blame game - Nov 11, 2011
- Shivaji statue in Arabian Sea off Mumbai (Lead) - Jun 02, 2008
- Shivaji memorial planned outside Mumbai airport - Jul 09, 2010
- Chhatrapati Shivaji memorial at sea rocks legislature - Mar 15, 2012
- Three years on, India remembers 26/11 victims - Nov 26, 2011
- Wax statue of Chhatrapati Shivaji unveiled - Mar 03, 2011
- 'Mumbai mega infra-projects to be completed by 2013' - Mar 07, 2012
- Maharashtra opposition creates ruckus, assembly adjourned (Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- Gandhi souvenirs outlet opened at Mumbai airport - Oct 02, 2011
- Multi-linguilism shapes children's emotional development - Aug 03, 2012
- Knightley awed by Lagerfeld - Aug 01, 2012
- Shiv Sena activists protest over removal of Konddev's statue in Pune - Dec 27, 2010
- 26/11: India still awaits Pakistan's decisive action (Roundup) - Nov 26, 2011
Tags: arabian sea, architect, business district, global consultants, government spokesperson, international competition, kilometre, maharashtra, malabar hill, museum restaurants, public conveniences, seafront, south mumbai, spectacular view, state cabinet, state government, state tourism department, statue of liberty, unhindered view, warrior king