Thailand, Goa join hands to promote tourismAugust 13th, 2011 - 12:53 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Aug 13 (IANS) Thailand and Goa, both top beach tourism destinations in Asia, will join hands at mutually promoting each other during the Goa International Travel Mart (GITM), which will be held in October this year.
“Goa and Thailand are similar in their landscape and natural beauty. Yet we don’t compete, we complement each other,” Sethaphan Buddhani, director of the Tourism Authority of Thailand, told IANS Friday.
Over 200 buyers have already bought slots at the GITM which will also see countries like Russia, Italy, Japan and Germany promoting their tourism.
“Being south Asian countries, it is important that we support and promote each other. The Thailand tourism board is happy to join hands with Goa Tourism as the spa and wellness country partner for GITM, ” Buddhani said.
Buddhani will be heading the Thai tourism contingent at the GITM.
D.C. Sahoo, Goa’s tourism secretary, said the number of buyers at the three-day mart was tipped to rise to 1,500.
“The international travel and trade mart held last year was a phenomenal success. We are confident that an event like GITM which is being organised on such a scale will boost trade and result in increased visitors to the state to experience our unique culture,” Sahoo said.
The GITM is likely to feature an educative session by Amitabh Kant, a joint secretary formerly posted at the union tourism ministry. He masterminded the ‘Incredible India’ tourism campaign, which became the face of Indian tourism some years back.
The GITM is being jointly promoted by the Goa Tourism Development Corporation, the state department of tourism, India Tourism, Travel & Tourism Association of Goa and Goa Chamber of Commerce and Industry (GCCI).
“GITM offers the perfect platform for local entrepreneurs in the travel and allied trade industry to network with global firms and forge positive business alliances,” said GCCI President Manguirish Pai Raikar.
- 28 countries, 400 buyers to participate in Goa travel mart - Oct 19, 2011
- Goa tourism moves beyond beaches - Sep 16, 2011
- Goa businessmen look to Australia for tourism development - Aug 24, 2012
- Goa industry unhappy with budget - Mar 16, 2012
- Goa Church to help combat unemployment - Jul 21, 2011
- Goa trade body demands Rs.1,000 crore grant for state - Mar 24, 2012
- Goa aim to convert students from job seekers to job givers - Jun 21, 2012
- Goa makes bid to attract investment - Jun 22, 2012
- Goa looks for eco-friendly, sound proposals at investors' meet - Jun 28, 2012
- Goa ties up with Berlin tourism fest - Sep 10, 2011
- Industry demands roll back in Goa power hike - May 08, 2012
- Tata's CMC to tie up with Goa trade body - Aug 26, 2011
- Goa wants slice of LGBT tourism pie - Oct 19, 2011
- Can anyone make Goa's cabbies charge by meter? (Letter from Goa) - May 03, 2012
- India can tap booming gay tourism sector: Tour promoter - Oct 21, 2011
Tags: allied trade, beach tourism, business alliances, country partner, gcci, gitm, goa international, goa tourism development corporation, incredible india tourism, indian tourism, sahoo, south asian countries, thai tourism, thailand tourism board, tourism authority of thailand, tourism campaign, tourism development corporation, tourism india, tourism ministry, tourism secretary