Ten rupee coin to be made availableAugust 3rd, 2008 - 7:28 pm ICT by IANS
Noida, Aug 3 (IANS) Ending a long wait, the ten rupee coin would soon become available in the market, an official source at the government mint here said. The ten rupee coin will have a diameter greater than that of the two rupee coin. “The weight of the coin would be 8 gram and diameter would be 28 millimetres,” the source said.
The mint, located in sector 1 here, has been minting the ten rupee coins for the past seven months on the instructions of the Reserve Bank of India. It now has coins worth Rs.70 million stored in its stock, the source added.
Besides ten rupee coins, the facility is minting 50 paisa coins also to overcome coins-shortage in the market.
The National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad, has prepared the design for the ten rupee coin.
Coins are minted at the five Government Mints at Mumbai, Alipore in Kolkata, Saifabad in Hyderabad, Cherlapally in Hyderabad and Noida in Uttar Pradesh.
Coins in India are presently being issued in denominations of 10 paise, 20 paise, 25 paise, 50 paise, one rupee, two rupees and five rupees. Coins upto 50 paise are called ’small coins’ and coins of Rupee one and above are called ‘Rupee Coins’. Coins can be issued up to the denomination of Rs.1000 as per the Coinage Act, 1906.
- 25 paise, or 'chavanni', is dead (Lead) - Jun 29, 2011
- 'Chavanni' no more after June 30 - Jun 29, 2011
- No more 25 paise coins from June 30 - May 18, 2011
- Seven years jail for melting, destroying coins - Mar 25, 2011
- India decides to cast 'chavanni' to history - Dec 30, 2010
- RBI to issue new coins - Jul 22, 2011
- RBI to probe illegal coins circulated in Mumbai markets - Jan 24, 2012
- Pranab Mukherjee releases Rs.150 commemorative coin - Feb 26, 2011
- RBI to issue special coins on century of civil aviation - Dec 27, 2011
- RBI to issue new Rs.5 and Rs.2 coins with Games logo - Oct 11, 2010
- Six percent discount on gold coins on Akshaya Tritiya - Apr 23, 2012
- CNG prices raised up to Rs.2 a kg in NCR (Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Three held with nine sacks of coins - Oct 22, 2010
- Canada to drop penny from circulation - Jul 31, 2012
- Coin shortage makes everyday life difficult in West Bengal - Aug 19, 2012
Tags: bank of india, coin coins, coinage act, denomination, denominations, diameter, mint, mints, national institute of design, national institute of design ahmedabad, paisa, reserve bank of india, rupee coins, rupees, sector 1, seven months, stock