Telecos paid Rs.73.73 crore penalty for late 2G rollout: SibalJanuary 1st, 2011 - 9:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 1 (IANS) Communications Minister Kapil Sibal Saturday said telecom operators who missed the deadlines for the rollout of 2G services paid Rs.73.73 crore penalty and the government had not ruled out cancelling their licences.”We had generated demand for over Rs.78 crore, of which the operators have submitted Rs.73.73 crore,” Sibal told reporters here.
The total penalty for missing out the rollout obligations amounts to Rs.219 crore.
The minister said Etisalat DB, Loop Telecom, Uninor, Sistema-Shyam and Aircel have paid the penalty so far, adding that more notices to erring operators would be issued.
He said his ministry is still discussing whether licences of such operators should be cancelled or not. “A decision will be taken after due consideration.”
Earlier this month, the government had issued showcause notices to these firms and had given them 15 days to respond.
Etisalat DB paid Rs.9.9 crore while Sistema-Shyam Teleservices Ltd shelled out Rs.11 crore for imposition of liquidated damages towards rollout obligations to the department of telecommunication.
Uninor, a joint venture between India’s Unitech and Norway’s Telenor also paid the penalty but said the ministry had not considered various factors that led to the delay, including last minute pre-launch testing.
- Uninor, others pay penalty for delayed 2G rollout - Dec 29, 2010
- TRAI examining recommendation to cancel 17 licenses: Sibal - Jun 30, 2011
- Shyam-Sistema denies TRAI's charges - Nov 18, 2010
- EGoM defers decision on one-time spectrum fee issue - Jul 24, 2012
- Cabinet okays Rs.14,000 crore as spectrum auction base price - Aug 03, 2012
- Why only 15 for licence cancellation, TRAI asks DoT - May 25, 2011
- Watchdog wants government to cancel more telecom licenses - Jul 15, 2011
- Foreign telecom firms want government to clarify stand (Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- Sibal meets Ambani, Tata, Mittal on spectrum, telecom issues - Dec 21, 2010
- Sibal assures level-playing field for all telecos - Dec 22, 2010
- Cabinet okays Rs.14,000 crore spectrum reserve price (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Etisalat writes off $827 mn, evaluates India options - Feb 09, 2012
- Notices soon on errant telecom companies: Sibal - Nov 29, 2010
- Sibal promises action against errant telecom firms (Lead) - Nov 29, 2010
- Watghdog wants 69 teleom licences scrapped for poor roll-out (Lead) - Nov 18, 2010
Tags: 2g, aircel, damages, due consideration, etisalat, imposition, India, joint venture, kapil sibal, launch, loop telecom, New Delhi, norway, shyam, telecom operators, telecommunication, telenor, teleservices, unitech