Telecommunication interconnection regulation revisedMarch 17th, 2009 - 10:25 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 17 (IANS) India’s telecom watchdog Tuesday revised the Telecommunication (Broadcasting and Cable Services) Interconnection Regulation, 2004, making it mandatory for all broadcasters to have reference interconnect offers (RIOs) for their addressable systems.
The Telecommunication (Broadcasting and Cable Services) Interconnection (Fifth Amendment) Regulations, 2009, released by the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI), covers regulatory provisions on issues relating to inter-connection for addressable platforms and registration of inter-connection agreements.
The new regulations bar the distributor of television channels from seeking signals in terms of ‘must provide’ clause of the interconnect regulation from a broadcaster for those channels for which carriage fee is being demanded by him.
Also, the regulations facilitate introduction and roll-out of voluntary conditional access system (CAS) by making it mandatory for all broadcasters to have RIOs for all addressable systems.
In addition to this, minimum technical specifications for addressable systems have also been specified.
- Stick to porting rules, TRAI tells Vodafone - Nov 04, 2011
- Cable networks must go digital by 2014 - May 08, 2012
- TRAI issues draft guidelines on mobile data services - Jul 11, 2012
- Ensure transparency in tariff ads, TRAI tells operators - Mar 26, 2012
- Ready to meet digitalisation deadline: Cable TV operators - Jun 01, 2012
- Service quality norms announced for cable operators - Feb 24, 2009
- TRAI issues notices to operators for violating norms - Aug 17, 2011
- Telecom regulator recommends digital broadcast by 2013 - Aug 05, 2010
- TRAI proposes 74 percent foreign investment in DTH - Jun 30, 2010
- Operators must offer calls at 1 paisa per second plan: TRAI - Apr 20, 2012
- TRAI asks operators to offer per second-billing plan (Lead, Superseding earlier story) - Apr 20, 2012
- Operators urge Sibal to auction total spectrum, reduce reserve price - Apr 27, 2012
- Court issues summons to telecom firms over number portability - Mar 21, 2012
- BSNL's disconnection threat illegal and coercive: Private operators - Sep 13, 2011
- No more pesky calls, messages from Sep 27: TRAI - Sep 05, 2011
Tags: addressable systems, amendment regulations, broadcaster, broadcasters, broadcasting and cable, cable services, conditional access system, fifth amendment, march 17, New Delhi, platforms, regulatory provisions, signals, technical specifications, telecom regulatory authority, telecom regulatory authority of india, telecommunication, television channels, trai, watchdog