Telecom Commission to meet Thursday on TRAI recommendationsMay 23rd, 2012 - 10:30 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 23 (IANS) The Telecom Commission, the highest policy-making forum in the communications ministry, will meet Thursday to take a call on the sector regulator’s controversial recommendations on spectrum auction which have made the industry come up in arms.
The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has recommended, among other proposals, a reserve price of Rs.3,622 crore for 1 MHz pan-India spectrum, which is around 10 times higher than the price at which 2G licences were allocated in 2008 under then Telecom Minister A. Raja.
The proposals have been highly criticised by the operators and independent analysts alike. Calling TRAI’s recommendations a ‘death knell’ for the industry, the operators have also warned of a 100 percent hike in tariffs if the proposals are accepted.
According to a study conducted by consultancy PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC), telecom tariffs are expected to rise by 90 paise a minute in metros and 20-34 paise on an average across the country if the sector regulator’s recommendations on spectrum pricing are accepted.
Following constant opposition from the industry, the Department of Telecom (DoT) had asked the regulator to review the recommendations. However, TRAI largely retained its proposals on high reserve price even in the revised paper.
The recommendation comes in the wake of the Feb 2 Supreme Court order cancelling 122 telecom licences issued in 2008.
- EGoM to take final call Tuesday on spectrum pricing - Jun 04, 2012
- EGoM to decide on spectrum pricing Thursday - Jun 20, 2012
- Reserve price of spectrum major concern: COAI - Jun 30, 2012
- Telecom tariffs may rise by 90 paise in metros: Study - May 22, 2012
- EGoM to take final call on pricing and refarming of spectrum - May 26, 2012
- Telecom Commission to meet again Saturday on spectrum pricing - May 24, 2012
- 2G spectrum base price decision deferred till Friday (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- EGoM on telecom approves spectrum mortgaging (Lead) - Jul 12, 2012
- GSM players to contest TRAI theory of minor tariff hike - May 07, 2012
- TRAI sticks to high reserve price for spectrum auction - May 14, 2012
- Telecom EGoM to recommend lower reserve price to cabinet for approval (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Call rates can rise 100 percent, warn telecom operators - May 03, 2012
- No decision on 2G pricing, EGoM favours refarming spectrum - Jun 05, 2012
- EGoM to recommend spectrum price, but cabinet to take call - Jul 20, 2012
- DoT to meet operators on spectrum reserve price - Jul 13, 2012
Tags: communications ministry, controversial recommendations, crore, death knell, feb 2, independent analysts, metros, New Delhi, opposition, pricewaterhousecoopers, proposals, raja, spectrum auction, supreme court, tariffs, telecom commission, telecom regulatory authority, telecom regulatory authority of india