Technical snag hits Delhi metro, commuters hassledJuly 2nd, 2011 - 4:37 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 2 (IANS) Commuters of the Delhi metro were left hassled Saturday as a technical snag on one of its lines hit services, causing inordinate delays.
The snag affected the violet line, or the Badarpur-Central Secretariat stretch of the metro network.
“There was a circuit failure as a result of which the exact location of a train was not getting determined. This led to all the trains on that route being operated manually since 10 a.m.,” an official of the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) told IANS.
Thus instead of the usual 80 kilometres per hour (kmph) speed, the trains were running at a speed of 35-40 kmph and therefore the delay, the official added.
Mohammad Rashid, who boarded the train at Jasola Apollo station said: “I spent more than one hour travelling in the metro today, instead of the usual 25 minutes. So I was really late for work.”
Surya Jha, who travels from Badarpur to Central Secretariat daily, added: “It was too problematic. At every station the train stopped for more than five minutes.”
The DMRC official added: “Determining the exact problem took a long time and work to restore normalcy is on.”
The official did not specify when normal services would be restored.
- Snag hits many Delhi Metro trains (Lead) - Jul 02, 2011
- Efforts on to minimise Metro snags, say officials - Mar 30, 2012
- Woman gives birth to girl on Metro train (Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Technical snag hits Delhi Metro again - Dec 03, 2010
- Passengers stuck in Metro for 40 minutes, services hit (Second Lead) - Dec 29, 2010
- DMRC signs MoU with Haryana for Badarpur-Faridabad link - Mar 26, 2012
- Metro stuck for 40 minutes near Patel Chowk station (Lead) - Dec 29, 2010
- Construction work on Badarpur-Faridabad Metro link begins - Mar 28, 2012
- Glitches persist on Metro's Jahangirpuri-Gurgaon line - Jan 11, 2011
- Delhi Metro mock drill hits commuters (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Three Metro stations to close for two hours Wednesday - Jul 25, 2012
- Small price? 11,500 trees face axe for Metro - Jul 31, 2011
- Sreedharan inspects proposed Faridabad Metro corridor - Apr 29, 2011
- Faridabad to come on Delhi Metro line - Mar 25, 2012
- Metro to curtail services for Republic Day, Beating retreat - Jan 24, 2011
Tags: apollo, central secretariat, circuit failure, commuters, delhi metro rail, delhi metro rail corporation, dmrc, exact location, exact problem, five minutes, inordinate delays, jha, kilometres, metro network, mohammad rashid, New Delhi, normalcy, secretariat, surya, technical snag