Tea Board earmarks Rs.300 crore for small growersApril 28th, 2012 - 8:38 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, April 28 (IANS) The Tea Board of India has earmarked Rs.300 crore for the development of the country’s small tea growers in the current financial year, its chairman M.G.V.K. Bhanu said Saturday.
“The Tea Board has accorded priority to the growth of the small tea growers as they have contributed significantly to the development of the tea industry as a whole. Of the 1,000 million kg produced in the country annually, 25 percent is produced by the small tea growers and that is quite significant,” Bhanu said, addressing a convention-cum-workshop for Small Tea Growers at the auditorium of Tezpur University.
He also said that the Board is going to conduct a study in five districts of Assam and two districts in West Bengal to find out on how to link up the small tea growers with the big tea factories in an organised and systemic way.
“It is very important to establish the vital link between the small and big producers for the benefit of the tea industry as a whole. The small tea growers would stand to gain more if we can link them up with big factories,” he said.
The Tea Board chairman also assured that the Board would provide 40 percent subsidy to the small tea growers for setting up factories, besides subsidies to purchase vehicles for transportation of their produce.
Bhanu also announced a slew of measures for the small tea growers in this part of the country including an exposure tour of some selected small tea growers to Kenya for training.
“We are going to select four small tea growers from Sonitpur district this year and they would be taken to Kenya for undergoing training there,” he said, noting that Indian small tea growers can learn lot of things as the small tea growers in the African region produce 70 percent of the total production.
He also announced that an office of the small tea growers will be opened at Dibrugarh by September this year.
- Tea Board to shift northeast zonal Office to Jorhat - Jun 27, 2012
- Tea production declining in organised sector in India - Aug 07, 2012
- Separate authority to boost tea production in India - Dec 15, 2011
- Biometric cards for Assam small tea growers soon - Apr 25, 2012
- Tea Board simplifies registration for Assam's small growers - Mar 21, 2012
- Mozambique seeks Indian investment to develop tea industry - Sep 04, 2012
- Tea Board plans councils in north, south India for inspecting export consignments - Jul 02, 2012
- Assam small tea growers mull creating own brand - Mar 23, 2012
- Tea Board to register small growers - Feb 18, 2012
- Tea production halts in five Assam districts - Jun 01, 2012
- Scheme to promote small tea plantations in Assam - Jul 28, 2010
- 'Assam losing revenue as Bodo tea growers sell to Bengal' - Mar 25, 2012
- For small farmers, it's tea time in Assam! - Jan 14, 2011
- Revenue loss for Assam as Bodo area tea goes to Bengal - Mar 24, 2012
- Former tea garden owners are Tripura's new entrepreneurs - Jul 11, 2010
Tags: assam, benefit, bhanu, board chairman, crore, dibrugarh, earmarks, factories, India, kg, measures, priority, producers, slew, subsidies, subsidy, tea board, tea growers, tea industry, west bengal