Tata’s Telcon project going strong in West BengalOctober 6th, 2008 - 6:51 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Oct 6 (IANS) Though Tata Motors has decided to move its Nano small car plant out of West Bengal, another major investment project of the company, an earth moving equipment factory at Kharagpur in West Midnapore, is going strong, a top district official said Monday.Tata Motors, which announced the Kharagpur project in mid-2006 along with the Singur small car plant, set up a joint venture company with Japan’s Hitachi Construction Machinery Co Ltd to execute the project.
“The project is moving smoothly,” West Midnapore District Magistrate N.S. Nigam told IANS.
The new firm, Telco Construction Equipment Co Ltd (Telcon), will develop, manufacture and market construction equipment and allied services.
Tata Motors holds 60 percent stake in the joint venture while the rest is with Hitachi Construction.
Telcon officials said the company is hopeful that the first set of products would be rolled out next June.
Earlier, West Bengal Industrial Development Corp said it did not face any problem while acquiring 1,251 acres for the Telcon project. A substantial portion of the acquired land is farmland. Land acquisition for the project started in mid-2006 coinciding with the Nano project land acquisition in Singur.
The main factory in the Telcon project will cover 562 acres and the rest will be covered by the vendors’ park. The entire project is slated to be completed by 2012.
Tata Group chairman Ratan Tata Friday announced the Nano car project’s pullout from Singur, 40 km from here, due to continuing protests from the opposition and the row over land acquisition.
- This Tata project in West Bengal is going strong (Lead) - Oct 07, 2008
- SC notice to Tata Motors on Singur land (Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- West Bengal moves apex court on Singur land law - Aug 07, 2012
- Tata Motors sells 20 percent stake in Telcon to Hitachi - Mar 30, 2010
- Monthly allowance to Singur's unwilling farmers doubled - Jun 27, 2012
- Fourth round of Bengal polls: Spotlight on Singur, Nandigram - May 02, 2011
- Bengal to acquire 400 acres at Singur to return to farmers - Jun 09, 2011
- Mamata government tables Singur bill - Jun 14, 2011
- Pranab supports Mamata on Singur land bill - Jun 11, 2011
- Mamata thanks people for moral support on Singur - Jun 23, 2012
- Mamata buckles under anti-land acquisition stir, cancels Sankarail project (Lead) - Jan 14, 2011
- West Bengal minister visits Singur site - May 31, 2011
- I believe Singur's farmers will win, says Mamata - Jun 22, 2012
- Court scraps Singur land law, Mamata suffers setback (Second Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Singur land act held valid, Singur farmers celebrate - Sep 29, 2011
Tags: chairman ratan tata, construction equipment co, district magistrate, earth moving equipment, hitachi construction machinery, joint venture company, midnapore district, tata group, tata motors, west bengal