Tata Teleservices to invest $2 bn for GSM services (Lead)April 20th, 2009 - 5:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 20 (IANS) Tata Teleservices Ltd (TTSL), one of the leading mobile telephone service providers in the country using CDMA technology, Monday said it will invest $2 billion to roll out services through the other technology, GSM.
“We will roll out GSM services in few weeks,” TTSL managing director Anil Sardana said.
He, however, did not specify an exact date of the launch.
The company Monday also launched a location-based service that will enable customers and enterprises to track vehicles, locations of interest and consignments from origin to destination in real time.
The service, known as ‘Quickfinder’, will ride on the benefits of assisted global positioning system (A-GPS).
TTSL has partnered with the US-based wireless telecom research and development company Qualcomm for technology solutions for the service.
Quickfinder has been launched in Mumbai, Pune, Delhi, Kolkata, Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad, Jaipur and Ahmedabad.
It will be available on only two handsets - Blackberry 8830 and Motorazr V3, and will be extended to others later, Sardana said.
Tata’s move to launch GSM services will make it the second private telecom company offering services on both CDMA and GSM platforms, after Reliance Communication (R-Com).
R-Com launched GSM services earlier this year.
State-run telecom companies, Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL) and Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd (MTNL) are also offering both technologies.
- Tata Teleservices to roll out GSM services soon - Apr 20, 2009
- Tata Teleservices applications received late: Mathur - Apr 16, 2012
- Tata Teleservices integrates all services under Tata DOCOMO - Oct 19, 2011
- Japan's NTT DOCOMO to invest Rs.8 bn in Tata Teleservices - Mar 31, 2011
- Tata Docomo rolls out 3G-service in India's tech hub - Nov 03, 2010
- MTNL, BSNL in talks to synergise services - May 18, 2011
- Airtel, Vodafone added 2.45 mn subscribers each in May - Jun 20, 2011
- Broadband auction winners to pay up license fee by June 22 - Jun 12, 2010
- Tata Docomo to launch 3G services on Nov 5 - Nov 03, 2010
- No hike in tariff: MTNL - Aug 03, 2011
- MTNL launches per second billing plan - Dec 01, 2009
- Bharti adds 2 mn subscribers in May, India total now 929 mn - Jul 05, 2012
- '3G auction completion takes India a step forward' - May 19, 2010
- MTNL inks pact with Welingkar to train talent for telecom industry - Sep 07, 2012
- Tata Tele crosses 77 million subscribers mark - Sep 13, 2010
Tags: blackberry 8830, bsnl, cdma technology, chennai hyderabad, global positioning system, gsm services, location based service, mahanagar telephone nigam, mahanagar telephone nigam ltd, motorazr v3, mtnl, reliance communication, sanchar nigam ltd, tata teleservices ltd, telecom companies, telecom company, telecom research, telephone service providers, ttsl, wireless telecom