Tata Teleservices launches GSM service (Lead)June 10th, 2009 - 3:29 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 10 (IANS) Leading telecom operator Tata Teleservices Wednesday launched mobile services on the GSM platform under the Tata DoCoMo brand.
The company in which Japan’s NTT DoCoMo has 26 percent stake, said it will invest $2 billion (Rs.9,450 crore) for the pan-India rollout of the services.
“We will bring to India the various products and services that we offer in Japan,” NTT DoCoMo’s global business division senior vice-president and managing director Toshinari Kunieda told reporters on the launch.
Tata has received GSM spectrum for 18 out of 22 telecom circles.
Operations will be commercially launched in south India by this month-end, the company announced.
By the year-end, Tata will expand services on the GSM platform across the country.
Tata Teleservices entered into an agreement with NTT DoCoMo in November 2008, under which the Japanese company acquired the 26 percent stake for $2.7 billion.
“The Indian market and our subscribers will soon get to experience the benefits of differentiated products and services that our association with DoCoMo will enable us to offer,” Tata Teleservices managing director Anil Sardana had said in a statement in March.
Tata Teleservices expects to leverage DoCoMo’s expertise in the development and delivery of value-added services, where the Japanese firm is an established player.
- Tata Teleservices to invest $2 bn for GSM rollout (Second Lead) - Jun 10, 2009
- Tata Teleservices launches GSM service - Jun 10, 2009
- Tata Docomo completes south India rollout - Jul 16, 2009
- Tata-Docomo plans research and development centre in India - Oct 08, 2009
- Tata DoCoMo starts GSM service in Chennai, Tamil Nadu circles - Jun 24, 2009
- Japan's NTT DOCOMO to invest Rs.8 bn in Tata Teleservices - Mar 31, 2011
- Tata Tele crosses 77 million subscribers mark - Sep 13, 2010
- Tata Teleservices completes stake sale to DoCoMo - Mar 26, 2009
- Tata Teleservices applications received late: Mathur - Apr 16, 2012
- Tata Teleservices launches GSM services in Maharashtra - Aug 06, 2009
- Tata Docomo launches 3G service in Punjab, Haryana - Nov 09, 2010
- Tata Teleservices integrates all services under Tata DOCOMO - Oct 19, 2011
- Tata Docomo to launch 3G services on Nov 5 - Nov 03, 2010
- Tata Docomo rolls out 3G-service in India's tech hub - Nov 03, 2010
- Tata Teleservices to roll out GSM technology by January 2009 - Nov 14, 2008
Tags: crore, differentiated products, global business division, gsm platform, japanese company, japanese firm, launch, managing director, mobile services, New Delhi, ntt docomo, percent stake, rollout, senior vice president, south india, tata teleservices, telecom circles, telecom operator, value added services, year end