Tata owned steel giant Corus to cut production by 30 percentNovember 8th, 2008 - 1:44 am ICT by IANS
London, Nov 8 (DPA) Steel giant Corus, Europe’s second-largest steel company owned by India’s Tata Steel, Friday announced plans to cut production by 30 percent over the next six months.The company, formerly British Steel, cited the global economic downturn for its decision to close two blast furnaces at its plants in Britain, and one in the Netherlands, until next March.
On Thursday, Corus said 400 jobs would be cut in its distribution business, which employs 2,400 people in Britain and Ireland.
The company announced last month that it would reduce production between October and December by a million tonnes of crude steel, around 20 percent of its output, to align production levels with demand.
Friday’s statement said it had now decided to extend production cuts beyond December and expected to produce about 30 percent less crude steel than planned during the two quarters to the end of next March.
On Wednesday, ArcelorMittal SA, the world’s biggest steelmaker owned by Indian billionaire Lakshmi Mittal, announced in Luxembourg that it was cutting production because of slowing global demand.
- S&P; cuts ArcelorMittal ratings to junk status - Aug 03, 2012
- ArcelorMittal to invest $5 bn in new steel mill in Brazil - Nov 06, 2009
- ArcelorMittal set to buy Canadian iron ore company for $433 million - Dec 16, 2010
- Lakshmi Mittal's US steel plant to lay off 400 workers - Apr 15, 2009
- Belgian trade union files complaint against ArcelorMittal - Feb 21, 2012
- ArcelorMittal, partner nearing absolute control of Baffinland - Feb 08, 2011
- ArcelorMittal laying off nearly 1,000 at US plant - May 14, 2009
- ArcelorMittal to set up steel mill in Iraq - Mar 16, 2010
- ArcelorMittal says it won't extend Canadian takeover offer - Dec 23, 2010
- ArcelorMittal Liberia announces first iron ore shipment - Mar 20, 2012
- Indian Oil, Reliance lead Indian 8 in Fortune 500 - Jul 10, 2012
- Malay Mukherjee steps down from ArcelorMittal board - Sep 01, 2009
- ArcelorMittal slashes steel production on weak economy - Nov 05, 2008
- Arcelor, partner in virtual takeover of iron-ore giant - Feb 19, 2011
- EU approves acquisition of Dutch company by ArcelorMittal - Jul 08, 2009