TATA-owned Land Rover offered 27 million pounds to produce ”Green Car”March 12th, 2009 - 4:26 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar.12 (ANI): The British Government has offered a grant of up to 27 million pounds to TATA-owned Jaguar Land Rover for the production of a new ”green” car. According to a Sky News report, the company will make a decision later this year on whether to go ahead with the 400 million pound project at its factory at Halewood on Merseyside.
The car will be based on Land Rover’’s LRX Concept vehicle.
Shown at the Detroit Show last year, the car would be the smallest, lightest and most efficient the company has ever produced.
Phil Popham, managing director of Land Rover, said: “We welcome the Government’’s support for this project, which would form a key part of our future product plans and which we very much want to put into production.”
Around 2,000 workers are employed at Halewood.
The plant produces the Land Rover Freelander 2 and Jaguar X-Type.
The Government said the aid would be taken from the Grant for Business Investment scheme, which is separate from the 2.3 billion pound Automotive Assistance Programme being discussed at a Government seminar for manufacturers and supply chain companies.
Business secretary Peter Mandelson said: “The Government is fully committed to supporting the UK automotive industry as it moves to a lower carbon future. This project aims to design and build a greener car in the UK, safeguarding vital skills and technologies.” (ANI)
- Jaguar Land Rover opens first plant in India - May 27, 2011
- Tata Motors to build 2,000 Land Rovers a year in Pune plant - Mar 02, 2011
- Worker dies at Jaguar Land Rover factory - Sep 27, 2011
- Tata's Jaguar to end X-Type car production, sack 300 employees - Jul 15, 2009
- Jaguar Land Rover to close British plant; no compulsory redundancies - Sep 24, 2009
- TATA-owned Jaguar to hire 1500 for production jobs, more in the offing - Nov 21, 2010
- TATA's Land Rover seeks 781 m pounds in UK Govt. loans - Apr 03, 2009
- Tata warned to accept revised Jaguar Land Rover deal - Jul 19, 2009
- Jaguar-Land Rover eyes booming China market - Jul 06, 2012
- Britain urges Tata to respond to offer on Jaguar Land Rover - Jul 21, 2009
- British MP demands to meet Ratan Tata over 'bad judgement' - Sep 27, 2009
- China to buy 13,000 Jaguars as part of new MoU - Feb 28, 2009
- Tata's Jaguar Land Rover, China's Chery in joint venture - Mar 21, 2012
- TATA's Jaguar Land-Rover to get 270 m pound European bank loan - Apr 06, 2009
- Workers at TATA-owned Jaguar vote for a pay freeze - Mar 06, 2009
Tags: automotive industry, british government, business investment, government seminar, green car, halewood, investment scheme, jaguar, jaguar x type, land rover, land rover freelander, land rover freelander 2, lrx, managing director, news report, peter mandelson, popham, secretary peter, sky news, tata