‘Tata Motors could drive Queen’s favourite car’July 28th, 2008 - 8:25 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 28 (IANS) Tata Group chairman Ratan Tata has told investors he is considering making a super-luxury version of the car that is a favourite of Britain’s reigning monarch, a British daily reported Monday. Ratan Tata, whose Tata Motors bought the marque as part of its $2.3 billion purchase of Jaguar and Land Rover earlier this year, was looking to revive Daimler, the Times reported.
The car, which is a favourite of Queen Elizabeth II, may be remodeled into a super-luxury version to rival Bentley and Rolls-Royce - funded from a kitty of a billion pounds earmarked to develop new models at Tata-owned manufacturing units in Britain.
The paper said Tata’s plans, which include selling these cars to rich customers in Britain, Asia, Russia and the Middle East, had the support of analysts.
It quoted analyst Garel Rhys of Cardiff University as saying: “Tata could make a very good job of this, especially if they target the space between where the top of Jaguar’s current range ends and where manufacturers such as Bentley kick in. Daimler has a fantastic heritage.”
At present the Daimler badge is restricted to the most expensive Jaguar model - the Daimler Super Eight, which costs 80,000 pounds.
- Kate Middleton gets Jaguar fleet for wedding ceremony - Mar 20, 2011
- Benz is Britain's favourite consumer super brand - Feb 28, 2011
- Rolls-Royce returns to the city of Nizams - Dec 07, 2011
- Mercedes relaunches premium car Maybach - Feb 01, 2011
- Jaguar-Land Rover eyes booming China market - Jul 06, 2012
- Rolls-Royce unveils latest model - Oct 05, 2011
- Reports of Tata's comments on Mukesh Ambani incorrect: Tatas - May 22, 2011
- Udaipur's vintage Rolls-Royce wins US trophy (With Images) - Aug 20, 2012
- Indian Maharajah's Rolls-Royce up for sale at 850,000 pounds - Apr 12, 2011
- 2010 Rolls Royce Phantom Drophead Coupe Now At Reduced Price - Jun 23, 2010
- Maybach May Be Made By Aston Martin - Dec 24, 2010
- Bentley and publishers Hodder and Stoughten come out with 1500 dollar limited 007 book - Apr 27, 2011
- Jaguar XJ named luxury car of the year - Apr 21, 2011
- China, the driving force for luxury cars - Apr 21, 2011
- A factsheet on the Tata Group - Nov 24, 2011
Tags: bentley, cardiff university, chairman ratan tata, daimler super eight, elizabeth ii, good job, group chairman, jaguar, jaguar model, kitty, land rover, luxury version, marque, middle east, monarch, queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth ii, rolls royce, tata group, tata motors