Tata Consultancy eyes e-governance projectsJune 18th, 2009 - 2:15 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, June 18 (IANS) IT bellwether Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) is eyeing e-governance projects to cope with the downturn, according to a senior company official.
“Post-elections, we believe conditions are ripe for e-governance projects to take off at the central and state levels,” TCS chief financial officer S. Mahalingam told IANS here.
“We believe the momentum will pick up now for more e-governance to improve government services to the people. We are already working on an e-passport scheme for the ministry of external affairs with two pilot projects in Bangalore and Chandigarh,” he added.
In this context, Mahalingam said basic infrastructure spanning roads, power, water, transportation and housing were critical for the efficient functioning of the information technology (IT) industry in both tier-one and tier-two cities.
“Sound infrastructure will enhance our ability to work from any city. Similarly, IT-enabled infrastructure will enable governments and organisations to improve their delivery mechanism. There is a phenomenal need for IT in public services and utilities,” he asserted.
Though the $6-billion TCS lost to rivals Infosys and Wipro in winning some e-governance projects, it has bagged a multi-million-rupee contract from the corporate affairs ministry for total re-engineering of corporate governance across the country.
- Wipro to digitise crime records under e-governance plan - Aug 02, 2010
- Healthcare insurance portal snag rectified: Wipro - Jul 19, 2011
- India to issue e-passports to citizens soon - Mar 06, 2010
- TCS bags Karnataka data centre project - Sep 27, 2010
- TCS signs biggest land deal in Kerala infotech sector - Jan 05, 2011
- Air links for smaller cities, towns on anvil: Ajit Singh - Jul 17, 2012
- Corporate sector poised to become engine of economy growth: PM - Dec 14, 2010
- Iraqi delegation in Bangalore to study e-governance projects - Apr 21, 2011
- Pitroda bats for e-governance - Jan 23, 2012
- Telecom equipment production needs to grow: Sibal - May 06, 2011
- Connect 2011 to start in Chennai Dec 20 - Nov 28, 2011
- For MCD officials, trifurcation costly, tiresome - Apr 20, 2012
- India, Switzerland to cooperate in local governance - Dec 12, 2011
- Bahrain launches single e-ID for government services - Jan 10, 2011
- Three-year extension to criminal tracking network - Jun 14, 2012
Tags: affairs ministry, bellwether, corporate affairs, corporate governance, delivery mechanism, downturn, e governance, governance projects, government services, infosys, ministry of external affairs, pilot projects, power water, s mahalingam, sound infrastructure, tata consultancy services, tata consultancy services tcs, tier one, water transportation, wipro