Target Apologizes & Removes Offensively Embarrassing Spain Flag ShirtJune 15th, 2010 - 10:02 pm ICT by Angela Kaye Mason
June 15 (THAINDIAN NEWS) In an embarrassing mistake, which has left Target as red in the face as the shirts which they are selling, a fascist t-shirt which features the former flag of Spain is being pulled from the store shelves everywhere.
The flag in question is the Spanish flag as it looked during the ‘reign of terror’ of the dictator, Francisco Franco. In 1978,after the dictatorship ended, the flag was changed, and the eagle which was added by Francisco was once again removed. Target, however, may not have studied their history quite well enough before selling the offensive shirt.
During the Civil War in Spain, and the 30 years under the rule of Francisco Franco, his army executed thousands, some estimates say hundred of thousands of political enemies, which included a poet, Federico Garcia, Lorca, and many other innocent people. Because of the horrors which were imposed on humans, and the widespread abuse of basic human rights which were conducted during his reign, his flag and it’s slogan ‘One Great and One Free’ are now banned in Spain.
Embarrassingly enough, Target had this flag, and not the new Spanish flag on their new World Cup t-shirt. The shirt featured the word “SPAIN” over the offensive flag. A Target spokesman apologized profusely for the mistake. “We certainly apologize for any discomfort or offense this shirt may have caused.”
Anyone who purchased the shirt can return it for a full refund. Target maintains that although the shirt was sold exclusively at their stores, it was not an in house brand.
- Franco's remains may be exhumed - Oct 10, 2011
- General Franco gave list of Spanish Jews to Nazis - Jun 21, 2010
- Americans celebrate Bin Laden's death with slogan T-shirts - May 04, 2011
- Pay cut spurs more protests by Spanish public employees - Jul 17, 2012
- Spaniards defy ban on pre-election protests - May 19, 2011
- Germany probing playing cards of Hitler, other dicators - Feb 08, 2011
- 10 people killed in Spain earthquake - May 12, 2011
- Tagore gala begins in Spain with book, culture blitz - Sep 13, 2011
- Charlie Sheen to release range of T-Shirts - Mar 16, 2011
- Former Spanish judge to defend Assange - Jul 25, 2012
- Pitch invader lunges at World Cup trophy (Lead) - Jul 12, 2010
- Kazakhstan lodges complaint over gaffe - Mar 27, 2012
- Oz shops urged not to sell T-shirts with "Relax, its just sex" slogan - Oct 29, 2010
- India colours imagination of Spanish artist - Nov 25, 2011
- Tens of thousands of tomato fighters paint Spanish town red - Aug 03, 2010
Tags: civil war, dictator, dictatorship, federico garcia lorca, flag of spain, francisco franco, house brand, human rights, mistake, poet federico garcia, political enemies, reign of terror, slogan, spain flag, spanish flag, spokesman, store shelves, t shirt, target, world cup