Tamil Nadu to study LNG power project feasibilityMarch 29th, 2012 - 3:15 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, March 29 (IANS) The Tamil Nadu government will examine the feasibility of setting up a 500 MW power plant to be fired by liquefied natural gas (LNG), Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa told the assembly here Thursday.
Jayalalithaa said: “Once the LNG terminal is built in Ennore, then the government would study the feasibility of setting up a 500 MW power plant.”
Referring to the LNG pipeline laid by GAIL Ltd between Kochi in Kerala and Bangalore in Karnataka via Coimbatore, Salem and Dharmapuri - all in Tamil Nadu - Jayalalithaa said her government would also study the feasibility of setting up 500 MW power plants to be powered by LNG.
She said owing to insufficient supplies of coal even to existing thermal power plants and saturation levels in hydel power projects, alternative fuel for power plants was a compulsion of the times.
Listing out other power projects planned by her government, Jayalalithaa said a 660 MW super critical power plant will be set up at Ennore at an outlay of Rs.3,960 crore and electricity generation would commence in 2015.
Similarly the 1,600 MW thermal power project at Uppur in Thiruvadanai in Ramanathapuram district will be commissioned in 2015, she said.
According to her, the 800 MW project planned at Tuticorin will also be commissioned by the end of 2015.
Jayalalithaa accused the previous DMK government of not doing enough explaining to the central government, resulting in reduced share of power to the state.
- Tamil Nadu power generator to float tenders for two power projects - Jan 30, 2012
- Gail, Tidco to set up a JV power plant in Tamil Nadu - May 11, 2012
- IOC to set up LNG terminal in Chennai - Mar 22, 2012
- Power situation to improve from June: Jayalalithaa - Feb 04, 2012
- Provide Bihar coal linkage for new power plants: Sushil Modi - Dec 18, 2010
- Neyveli Lignite to power capacity to 4,640 MW by 2015 - Jul 08, 2011
- Bihar to generate additional 3,960 MW of power - Dec 15, 2010
- Tamil Nadu power unit's early start hinges on port decision - Apr 08, 2012
- Say no to more Kudankulam units, Jayalalithaa urged - Jul 18, 2012
- Toshiba JSW to export power turbines, generators - Feb 12, 2012
- Tamil Nadu scraps power joint venture, BHEL surprised (Lead) - Feb 24, 2012
- After roads, Bihar's power sector a Nitish priority - Dec 17, 2010
- Jayalalithaa asks Prime Minister for power from central pool - Jun 06, 2011
- Situation calm in Kudankulam, more protestors arrested (Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Kudankulam citizens to appeal to Japan PM against nuclear cooperation - Dec 28, 2011
Tags: alternative fuel, chief minister, coimbatore, critical power, crore, dmk government, electricity generation, ennore, gas lng, j jayalalithaa, kochi, liquefied natural gas, lng terminal, mw power plant, mw project, outlay, project feasibility, saturation levels, tamil nadu government, thermal power plants