Tamil Nadu to build Rs.60 bn petrochemical mega-complexJune 6th, 2008 - 6:16 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, June 6 (IANS) Tamil Nadu Industrial Development Corp Ltd (Tidco) is planning to develop the Cuddalore-Nagapattinam belt as a petroleum, chemical and petrochemical investment region at an investment of Rs.60 billion ($1.4 billion), said a top official. Talking to reporters after signing a gas cooperation agreement with Gas Authority of India Ltd (GAIL) here Friday, Tidco chairman and managing director S. Ramasundaram said the state and central governments would develop the infrastructure while the prospective investors would have to source the required land for the factory.
“The infrastructure development in the region is estimated to require an investment of Rs.60 billion,” he added.
However, the project needs to be cleared by the central government. The first meeting with the ministry of petroleum and natural gas will be held June 11.
Ramasundaram added that Tidco wants to develop a petrochemical plant at Nagapattinam. Chennai Petroleum Corp Ltd (CPCL) has been requested to consider Nagapattinam as an alternative location instead of Ennore to build its greenfield refinery and petrochemical complex, he said.
About the gas cooperation agreement, he said GAIL would conduct preliminary techno economic feasibility study for gas demand potential in industrial, commercial, transport, residential sectors and evaluate medium and long-term gas demand potential of the state.
GAIL will also assess pipeline infrastructure and associated facilities required for supply of natural gas including optical fibre network.
“The agreement between GAIL and Tidco would help in preparation of future roadmap for realising the natural gas potential in Tamil Nadu,” said GAIL chairman and managing director U.D. Choubey.
A working group has been set up under the Chairmanship of Tidco executive director Kumar Jayant.
- Japanese firms to increase investment in Tamil Nadu - Jan 25, 2012
- Gail, Tidco to set up a JV power plant in Tamil Nadu - May 11, 2012
- Petrochemical investment region in Tamil Nadu approved - Aug 23, 2012
- Cabinet nod for petrochemical region in Tamil Nadu - Jul 04, 2012
- IOC to set up LNG terminal in Chennai - Mar 22, 2012
- Petrol bunks go dry in three Tamil Nadu districts - May 28, 2012
- Petrol bunks go dry in three Tamil Nadu districts(Lead) - May 29, 2012
- India seeks more oil, enhanced economic ties with Nigeria - Mar 16, 2011
- ONGC inks deal with GAIL for gas supply - Jul 24, 2012
- Andhra inks MoUs for Rs.6.5 lakh crore investment (Lead) - Jan 13, 2012
- Tamil Nadu to study LNG power project feasibility - Mar 29, 2012
- Reform-focussed Nigeria seeks Indian capital in energy, banking (Roundup) - Mar 16, 2011
- India seeks more crude oil imports from Nigeria - Mar 16, 2011
- India asks Saudi Arabia to hike crude oil supply - Feb 23, 2012
- CCCL and Tidco to promote food processing SEZ - Jul 16, 2010
Tags: alternative location, central governments, chairmanship, commercial transport, cooperation agreement, corp ltd, cpcl, economic feasibility study, ennore, gas authority of india ltd, gas cooperation, infrastructure development, optical fibre network, petrochemical plant, petroleum chemical, petroleum corp, pipeline infrastructure, prospective investors, residential sectors, tidco