Tamil Nadu tipplers can now swig imported liquorNovember 11th, 2008 - 6:47 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Nov 11 (IANS) With India losing an appeal filed by the US at the World Trade Organisation (WTO) against its customs duty regime and restrictions on liquor imports by some states, imported wine and spirits will soon flow into Tamil Nadu, an official at a state-run agency said.On the condition of anonymity, the official of the Tamil Nadu State Marketing Corp (Tasmac), the sole liquor wholesale and retail agency in Tamil Nadu, told IANS that foreign brands such as Johnnie Walker (Red and Black Label), Smirnoff Black and Gordon’s Dry Gin will be soon available at its retail outlets.
The move to allow foreign brands is the result of the US winning an appeal against India a week ago at the WTO.
Delhi-based importer Brindco has reportedly bagged the first import order.
Foreign liquor companies had complained that some Indian states like Maharashtra levy high taxes on foreign liquor imports, while those like Tamil Nadu and Kerala did not provide market access.
Maharashtra, in order to encourage its grape farmers and local wineries, charges 200 percent tax on imported foreign wines and 150 percent on wines coming from other Indian states.
A delegation from WTO has arrived in Delhi to discuss the issues relating to high taxes and market access with the Indian government.
- Cheers! Karnataka to brew more wines for global markets - Mar 01, 2012
- Swig of spicy red Chile in Indian wine glass - Sep 21, 2011
- South Africa pushes its fruity presses in Indian wine mart (With Image) - Jun 07, 2012
- India awakening to wines, but pricing a problem - Jan 25, 2011
- Wine tours - a whole new weekend getaway (With Images) - Mar 02, 2011
- Great wine starts with the environment: Sula's motto (With images) - Jan 29, 2012
- We're in dire straits: Kerala distilleries - Aug 19, 2011
- Hold talks with liquor shop employees, urges Jayalalithaa - Aug 09, 2010
- Indian winemakers to compete with West at London Wine Fair - May 16, 2010
- Treat for wine lovers, Chilean way (With Images) - Jul 23, 2012
- Treat for wine lovers, Chilean way (With Images) (Lead, correcting spelling) - Jul 23, 2012
- Liquor shops closed in Jharkhand to protest VAT - Jul 01, 2010
- Mizoram's 'love potion' wine to hit market in September - Jul 20, 2010
- Rs.70 crore liquor sold on Onam days - Aug 30, 2012
- Wine aficionados throng Pune wine tasting festival - Dec 12, 2010