Tamil Nadu has executed major work at Mullaperiyar: KeralaNovember 9th, 2010 - 6:40 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Nov 9 (IANS) An expert committee appointed by the Kerala government Tuesday reported that Tamil Nadu has carried out extensive maintenance work at the ageing Mullaperiyar dam - a bone of contention between the two states.
Tamil Nadu was doing this just to impress the Supreme Court-appointed high-level empowered committee, which will be visiting the dam for three days starting Dec 20, state Water Resources Minister N.K.Premachandran told reporters after receiving its experts committee’s report.
Later speaking to IANS, Premachandran said Tamil Nadu has full authority to undertake routine maintenance, but they had done much more than that.
“What we have got from the report is that never before has Tamil Nadu carried out such extensive maintenance at both the Mullaperiyar main dam and the baby dam. According to the agreement, they have to do the annual routine maintenance work,” he said.
Kerala and Tamil Nadu have been at loggerheads over the present dam built under an agreement signed in 1886 between the then Maharaja of Travancore and the British administration.
While the dam is located in Kerala’s Idukki district, it serves Tamil Nadu. In recent years, Tamil Nadu has demanded that the storage capacity of the dam be raised from 136 feet (41.5 metres) to 142 feet (43 metres) to meet the increasing demand of water for irrigation, while Kerala has been demanding a new dam.
To break the deadlock, a high-level empowered committee was appointed by the Supreme Court early this year to go into all these issues, including the safety aspects of the existing dam.
- Kerala again speaks of new Mullaperiyar dam - Jan 03, 2012
- Kerala wants national parties' clear stand on Mullaperiyar - Nov 25, 2011
- New Mullaperiyar Dam will be a reality: Chandy - Jan 04, 2012
- Slight tremors in Kerala's Idukki district - Nov 26, 2011
- Kerala, Tamil Nadu officials to discuss Mullaperiyar dam - Dec 05, 2011
- Team for Mullaperiyar Dam contingency plan on hold - Dec 27, 2011
- 'Tamil Nadu will send police to protect Mullaperiyar' - May 27, 2012
- Let Kerala give up two taluks to end dam row: Karunanidhi - Jan 12, 2012
- Kerala acting against constitution on Mullaperiyar: Tamil Nadu - Feb 05, 2011
- 'DAM999' vies for Oscar qualification - Oct 28, 2011
- Increased security for Kerala's Mullaperiyar dam - Jul 26, 2010
- Clashes at Kerala-Tamil Nadu border post over Mullaperiyar - Dec 06, 2011
- Vaiko fumes over dam, Kerala calls him ignorant - May 28, 2010
- Chandy demands new dam in place of Mullaperiyar - Dec 21, 2011
- Controversy helped 'DAM 999': Director - Nov 25, 2011
Tags: ageing, bone of contention, british administration, deadlock, expert committee, experts committee, irrigation, kerala government, loggerheads, main dam, maintenance work, new dam, routine maintenance, safety aspects, state water resources, storage capacity, supreme court, travancore, two states