Tamil Nadu gives big push to solar powerAugust 4th, 2011 - 11:08 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Aug 4 (IANS) The Tamil Nadu government plans to give a big thrust to solar power with its plans to energise street lights and houses with power from the sun and also setting up a 50 MW solar park in public-private-partnership (PPP) mode.
Presenting the AIADMK government’s first budget Thursday, Finance Minister O. Pannerselvam said the government plans to energise 20,000 street lights in 200 villages at a cost of Rs.49.60 crore.
He said the subsidy from the central government will be Rs.11.20 crore and the balance will be funded by the state government.
Referring to the government’s plan to build 60,000 green houses this fiscal, he said Tamil Nadu Energy Development Agency (TEDA) will take up the energisation of the houses with solar power at an outlay of around Rs.180 crore.
Pannerselvam said the central government subsidy will be Rs.48.60 crore and the balance will be met by the state government.
“As a part of the government’s commitment towards green energy, it is proposed to establish initially a 50 MW solar park in PPP (public-private-partnership) mode through competitive bidding process,” Pannerselvam said.
- Tamil Nadu provides for free cattle, laptops in budget - Aug 04, 2011
- Tamil Nadu's new solar energy policy to add 3,000 MW - Mar 12, 2012
- AIADMK to explain budget proposals through public meets - Aug 05, 2011
- Cabinet nod for petrochemical region in Tamil Nadu - Jul 04, 2012
- Japan keen on industrial corridor, freight train in south India - Feb 14, 2012
- Bengal to have solar policy soon: Minister - Oct 02, 2011
- Tamil Nadu seeks private investment in tourism sector - Aug 04, 2011
- Tamil Nadu plans new industrial, land takeover policies - Aug 04, 2011
- Himachal to develop biotechnology park - Dec 27, 2011
- Tamil Nadu seeks over Rs.180,000 crore for free laptops, other schemes - Jun 14, 2011
- Tamil Nadu to upgrade Nagapattinam port under PPP model - Jan 20, 2012
- Toshiba JSW to export power turbines, generators - Feb 12, 2012
- Rs.2,100 crore sanctioned for textiles parks - Oct 27, 2011
- RPP Infra plans to set up 5 MW solar power plant - Dec 31, 2010
- India to launch 16 new nuclear reactors - Jun 01, 2012
Tags: budget, central government, competitive bidding process, energy development, finance minister, government subsidy, green energy, green houses, outlay, public private partnership, rs 180, solar park, solar power, state government, sun, tamil nadu government, teda, thrust