Tamil Nadu gets new trains, integrated suburban networkFebruary 25th, 2011 - 5:10 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Feb 25 (IANS) Introduction of new trains, beefing up of the suburban train services and setting up of integrated suburban train network are among the major announcements relating to Tamil Nadu in the new railway budget.The budget for 2011-12 presented by Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee Friday has also approved new railway lines for the state.
She assured the house that the capacity expansion at Chennai’s Integral Coach Factory (ICF), which was announced in the last budget, would go on steam shortly.
As regards the new trains, Banerjee has sanctioned two air-conditioned Duronto trains (Madurai - Chennai and Chennai-Thiruvananthapuram, both bi-weekly.
Banerjee also proposed weekly express trains between Kharagpur-Villupuram via Vellore, Purulia-Viluppuram Express via Midnapore, Kharagpur-Vellore-Chennai Shirdi Express via Bangalore, and Mysore-Chennai Express.
A daily express between Coimbatore and Tuticorin and a daily passenger train between Coimbatore and Mettupalayam will also be introduced.
Tamil Nadu also figured in the introduction of the new train Vivek Express, marking the 150th birth anniversary of Swamy Vivekananda to be celebrated in 2013.
The Dibrugarh-Thiruvananthapuram-Kanyakumari Express (weekly) via Kokrajhar, and Dwarka-Tuticorin Express (weekly) via Wadi also form part of the Tamil Nadu package.
Banerjee announced special tourist train - Janma Bhoomi Gaurav - on the route Chennai-Puducheri-Tiruchirappali-Madurai-Kanyakumari-Thiruvananthpuram-Ernakulam-Chennai.
The train connects important historical and educational places in the state.
Apart from announcing that an integrated suburban train network would be set up in Chennai, Banerjee declared nine more additional services in the suburban services.
These will be run on Chennai Beach-Gummidipundi, Gummidipundi-Chennai Central, Avadi-Chennai Beach, Chennai Central-Tiruvallur, Tiruvallur-Chennai Central. The Chennai Beach-Tambaram service is proposed to be extended to Chengalpattu.
According to Banerjee, new lines will be laid on Sriperumbudur-Gummudipoondi and Mannagudi-Puddukottai routes.
- Tamil Nadu gets new trains; bio-diesel, windmill plants (Lead) - Mar 14, 2012
- Train accident derails services - Sep 14, 2011
- Collision hits train services on Bangalore-Chennai route - Sep 14, 2011
- Tamil Nadu gets a fair share from Mamata - Feb 24, 2010
- Karunanidhi praises Mamata Banerjee on budget - Feb 24, 2010
- Tamil Nadu gets a fair share of new railway projects - Jul 03, 2009
- Tamil Nadu steps up security aead of Ayodhya verdict - Sep 29, 2010
- Southern Railway plans to improve infrastructure - Jun 30, 2011
- Driver error caused train mishap, probe ordered (Roundup) - Sep 14, 2011
- Jayalalithaa disappointed with Rail Budget - Feb 25, 2011
- Human error caused Tamil Nadu train accident - Sep 14, 2011
- Casualties not ascertained yet: Trivedi - Sep 14, 2011
- Tamil Nadu's new civic body heads sworn in - Oct 25, 2011
- Poll panel orders transfer of Tamil Nadu officials - Mar 20, 2011
- Inquiry team set up on Tamil Nadu accident - Sep 14, 2011
Tags: avadi, birth anniversary, chennai beach, coach factory, dibrugarh, educational places, express trains, mamata banerjee, midnapore, new train, purulia, railway budget, railway lines, railway minister, suburban network, suburban services, suburban train, tourist train, train network, villupuram