Tamil Nadu begins work on Hogenekkal water projectJune 19th, 2008 - 10:19 pm ICT by IANS
Dharmapuri (Tamil Nadu), June 19 (IANS) The Tamil Nadu government Thursday began work on the controversial Rs.13.34 billion drinking water project in Hogenekkal, on the border with Karnataka, which had witnessed frenzied protests by the neighbouring state earlier. The Hogenekkal Drinking Water Supply Scheme project, aided by the Japanese Bank for International Cooperation, is aimed to supply fluoride-free potable water to four million households here and in neighbouring Krishnagiri district.
On Thursday, a field office was set up in Oddapatti Village, some 300 km southwest of capital Chennai, to resume the project work.
The applications of two firms have been short-listed by the Tamil Nadu Water and Drainage Board and forwarded to the project’s sponsors Japanese Bank for International Cooperation, board managing director Swaran Singh told the media.
The contract is expected to be awarded in July.
The Hogenekkal Falls, situated on the border of Tamil Nadu and Karnataka, is part of a dispute between the two riparian states. The falls are part of Cauvery river that flows from Karnataka into Tamil Nadu and empties itself into the Bay of Bengal.
Karnataka maintains the drinking water scheme would affect its share of the Cauvery river waters.
The Tamil film industry had lent glamour to the dispute in Chennai during a day-long hunger strike April 4.
Since the late ’70s, the two states have been claiming that the other is using more than its fair share of water.
- 'Tamil Nadu won't allow Mekedatu dam across Cauvery' - Mar 30, 2012
- Centre ignoring livelihood issues: Jayalalithaa - Jul 24, 2012
- Convene meeting of Cauvery River Authority: Jayalalithaa - May 19, 2012
- Hogenakkal water project to start by March 2010: Stalin - Dec 06, 2009
- Karnataka for new formula for Cauvery water sharing - Sep 11, 2012
- PM asked to tell Kerala to halt irrigation scheme - Jun 21, 2012
- 'Advise Karnataka to stop construction of check dams' - May 20, 2012
- Jayalalithaa renews call for Cauvery River Authority meet - Aug 23, 2012
- Cauvery river issue hots up between Tamil Nadu, Karnataka - Oct 28, 2010
- Karunanidhi fooling people over Cauvery water: Jayalalithaa - Oct 28, 2010
- Hogenekkal project on hold, Karunanidhi draws flak - Apr 05, 2008
- Tamil Nadu puts Hogenekkal scheme on hold - Apr 05, 2008
- Resolve Cauvery water sharing dispute, says SC to PMO - Sep 03, 2012
- Appoint chairman for Cauvery panel: Jayalalithaa - Apr 20, 2012
- Protests in Karnataka, Tamil Nadu over water supply project - Mar 31, 2008
Tags: bay of bengal, chennai, drainage board, drinking water project, drinking water supply, fair share, hunger strike, international cooperation, japanese bank, karnataka, managing director, neighbouring state, potable water, riparian states, river waters, supply scheme, tamil film industry, tamil nadu government, two states, water scheme