Tamil Nadu bank employees on strike for second daySeptember 25th, 2008 - 12:50 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Sep 25 (IANS) Around 60,000 bank employees in Tamil Nadu went on strike for the second day Thursday as part of the nationwide shutdown called by bank unions to press for their six-point charter of demands, including stopping of privatisation and merger and acquisition of public sector banks. Conciliatory talks between the United Forum of Bank Union (UFBU) leaders and S.K. Mukhopadhyay, chief labour commissioner, in New Delhi Tuesday failed to break the stalemate over the issue.
Bank employees held demonstrations in front of the Union Bank of India office at Broadway here Thursday.
“We wanted a commitment from the Indian Banks’ Association (IBA) that there will not be any move on reform measures in the banking sector and also a time frame within which worker related issues - pension option, wage negotiations and others - are sorted out. The IBA declined to give any commitment on any of the issues,” C.H. Venkatachalam, convenor UFBU, told IANS.
According to bank officials, ATMs have adequate cash to meet the needs of customers.
R. Raghunathan, a retired government employee, said: “I have debit and credit cards so I am not facing any problems. Earlier, we used to withdraw money as soon as we were informed of a bank strike.”
Revathi Vasan, former employee of Canara Bank, said: “The demands - appointment on compassionate grounds and another option for pension scheme - are reasonable. No doubt the service level has to go up but it seems the problem lies with the core banking solution because systems hang at frequent intervals.”
- Bank employees to strike work Aug 5 - Aug 01, 2011
- Tamil Nadu bank employees begin two-day strike - Sep 24, 2008
- Staff strike hits banks operations in Karnataka - Aug 05, 2011
- Banks employees to shut down Wednesday, Thursday - Sep 23, 2008
- Bank strike hits financial sector in India (Roundup) - Aug 22, 2012
- All India bank strike postponed - Jun 30, 2011
- India's banking operations hit by nationwide staff strike (Roundup) - Aug 05, 2011
- Two-day nationwide bank strike from today - Sep 24, 2008
- India's banking industry hit by nationwide staff strike - Aug 05, 2011
- Banker's strike enters second day, operations affected - Aug 07, 2009
- Strike doesn't affect life in Tamil Nadu - Feb 28, 2012
- 46 Indian banks' staff get pay hike (Lead) - Apr 27, 2010
- Bank employees to strike work July 7 - Jun 21, 2011
- Bank staff plans strike against privatisation, law changes - Jun 28, 2011
- Banking activity in Bengal comes to standstill - Aug 22, 2012