Tamil Nadu bank employees begin two-day strikeSeptember 24th, 2008 - 11:37 am ICT by IANS
Chennai , Sep 24 (IANS) Around 60,000 bank employees in Tamil Nadu went on strike Wednesday as part of the two-day nationwide shutdown called by bank unions to protest the government’s privatisation policy.Conciliatory talks between the United Forum of Bank Union (UFBU) leaders and S.K. Mukhopadhyay, chief labour commissioner, in New Delhi Tuesday failed to break the stalemate over the issue.
C.H. Venkatachalam, convenor UFBU, told IANS: “As many as 53,000 banks, including private ones, will remain closed Wednesday and Thursday. We will take out a procession here today.”
The ATMs at the bank branches will not work during the strike but those off site may remain functional till cash stocks last.
“We wanted a commitment from the Indian Banks’ Association (IBA) that there will not be any move on reform measures in the banking sector and also a time frame within which worker related issues - pension option, wage negotiations and others - are sorted out. The IBA declined to give any commitment on any of the issues,” Venkatachalam said.
- Banks employees to shut down Wednesday, Thursday - Sep 23, 2008
- Bank employees to strike work Aug 5 - Aug 01, 2011
- Tamil Nadu bank employees on strike for second day - Sep 25, 2008
- All India bank strike postponed - Jun 30, 2011
- Staff strike hits banks operations in Karnataka - Aug 05, 2011
- Bank strike hits financial sector in India (Roundup) - Aug 22, 2012
- Two-day nationwide bank strike from today - Sep 24, 2008
- Bank employees to strike work July 7 - Jun 21, 2011
- Strike doesn't affect life in Tamil Nadu - Feb 28, 2012
- Banking services in Bengal paralysed for second day - Aug 23, 2012
- India's banking operations hit by nationwide staff strike (Roundup) - Aug 05, 2011
- 46 Indian banks' staff get pay hike (Lead) - Apr 27, 2010
- Banking activity in Bengal comes to standstill - Aug 22, 2012
- Bank operations come to a standstill, as employees go on a two day strike - Aug 06, 2009
- 2 day bank strike from today - Aug 06, 2009