Talks on for major SAIL unit at Jagdishpur (With Images)March 15th, 2011 - 2:03 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, March 15 (IANS) The government is examining a proposal for an integrated steel unit and a 1,000 MW power plant at the Jagdishpur facility of the Steel Authority of India Ltd (SAIL) in collaboration with Japan’s Kobe group.
Stating this at Jagdishpur in Uttar Pradesh Monday, Minister of State for Steel Beni Prasad Verma said the proposal envisaged an investment of Rs.10,000 crore and that he will himself approach the oil ministry soon for the supply of natural gas.
“All possible efforts shall be made to expedite the completion of the project. I will personally take up the matter at the highest levels in the government,” Verma said, as he examined the progress in the revival of the erstwhile Malvika Steel’s unit.
State-run SAIL had acquired the ailing Jagdishpur unit of Malvika Steel in 2009. The first phase of a major revival plan — which includes the setting up of a a 12,00-tonne and 13,000-tonne galvanised sheet corrugation unit — is currently on.
Vrma said though India today is the fifth largest steel producer in the world, it has the potential to become the second largest producer on account of growing demand, rich resources, skilled manpower and vast experience of steel making.
SAIL on its own has decided to expand its crude steel production from 12.84 million tonnes to 21.40 million tonnes per annum by 2012-13.
The minister was also told that the state-run firm was carrying out several activities under its corporate social responsibility plan in and around Jagdishpur, including the upgrade of a school and health checks with free medicines at villages in the vicinity.
- SAIL starts revival of its Jagdishpur unit - Jul 26, 2010
- SAIL inks pact with Japan's Kobe Steel for Durgapur plant - Jul 10, 2012
- SAIL investing Rs.20,000 crore for modernising Bengal units - Sep 10, 2011
- Amethi to get 'India's most modern steel plant' - Jan 27, 2011
- SAIL to invest Rs.21,000 crore in West Bengal - May 25, 2012
- Rourkela Steel records best January production - Feb 02, 2012
- India expected to become second largest steel producing nation - Feb 25, 2011
- Rourkela Steel sees best ever November production - Dec 02, 2011
- Rourkela steel plant records best production in Q1 - Jul 02, 2012
- 'Posco can have majority stake in JV with SAIL' - Sep 20, 2010
- RSP achieves best-ever saleable steel production - Oct 03, 2011
- Rourkela Steel records highest ever December production - Jan 03, 2012
- SAIL pays government Rs.425.36 crore interim dividend (With Image) - Apr 03, 2012
- India will become 2nd largest steel maker by 2012: Virbhadra Singh (Interview) - Feb 10, 2010
- Essar Steel commissions Phase 1 of Odisha pellet plant - Apr 09, 2012
Tags: annum, beni, corporate social responsibility, crore, crude steel production, free medicines, health checks, integrated steel, minister of state, oil ministry, power plant, prasad, responsibility plan, revival plan, rich resources, skilled manpower, steel authority of india ltd, steel producer, tonne, uttar pradesh