Taj GM lauded as he gets Corporate Citizen Of the Year awardJanuary 20th, 2009 - 2:42 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, Jan.20 (ANI): Taj Hotel General Manager Karambir Singh Kang, who lost his wife and two children during the November 2008 terror attacks on Mumbai, was presented the the Economic Times Corporate Citizen of the Year award by Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh here on Monday evening.
Walking on stage, shoulders squared but head bowed, Kang accepted the ward from Dr. Singh with a deep sense of humility, even as the tear-struck audience stood up to give him a rousing welcome.
The Taj general manager, it maybe recalled, worked steadily through the night of November 26 escorting hotel guests to safety, not knowing that his family was stuck inside a room on the sixth floor of the hotel, trapped by a raging blaze.
Flanked by Taj group CEO Raymond Bickson and Hemant Oberoi in his chef whites, Kang received the ward on behalf of the hotel staff. The award was shared with the employees of The Oberoi and the Trident, for conducting themselves with incredible heroism and dignity in the four days that their hotels were under seige.
“This recognition is not just an honour for the staff of the Taj, but a recognition of the true spirit of India. For any employee of our hotel, no amount of training could have prepared us for what we went through during those fateful days. They were all ordinary people, be it at the Taj, Trident, CST or Cama Hospitalwith extraordinary courage, who went beyond the call of duty. On behalf of my entire Taj family, I humbly accept this honour. Thank you,” Kang said in his acceptance speech. (ANI)
- Sarkozy honours two hotel executives for 26/11 bravery - Dec 07, 2010
- Sarkozy pays tribute to 26/11 martyrs - Dec 07, 2010
- Sarkozy salutes 26/11 victims, hits out at Pakistan (Evening Lead) - Dec 07, 2010
- Special tourism awards for Taj, Oberoi for role in Mumbai attack - Feb 24, 2009
- Obama skips direct reference to Pakistan while remembering Mumbai terror attack victims - Nov 06, 2010
- Taj Hotel is honoured to be part of Harvard study - Jan 28, 2011
- Obama praises Taj manager Kang, Moshe's nanny - Nov 06, 2010
- Salman Khan invites flak over 'Mumbai terror attack" remark - Sep 12, 2010
- Defence, n-power will dominate Sarkozy's India visit - Dec 03, 2010
- Heritage wing of Taj Mahal hotel reopens on Sunday in Mumbai - Aug 12, 2010
- Mumbai remembers, prays for 26/11 victims - Nov 26, 2010
- Salman Khan apologies for remarks on Mumbai terror attacks - Sep 12, 2010
- Chidambaram to pay homage to Mumbai terror attack victims - Nov 25, 2010
- Defence, n-power, business to dominate Sarkozy visit (Lead) - Dec 03, 2010
- Kasab smiles during his death penalty hearing - Oct 18, 2010
Tags: acceptance speech, corporate citizen, deep sense, dr manmohan singh, dr singh, fateful days, group ceo, hotel guests, hotel staff, manmohan, manmohan singh, oberoi, rousing welcome, seige, sixth floor, spirit of india, taj group, taj hotel, terror attacks, true spirit