Synergies Summit to ‘reboot’ US-India tiesJune 9th, 2009 - 10:45 am ICT by IANS
By Arun Kumar
Washington, June 9 (IANS) Top US government officials, including Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, will participate in a Synergies Summit hosted by a premier business advocacy organisation to “reboot” US-India ties after the elections in both countries.
India’s Commerce and Industry Minister Anand Sharma, US Secretary of Commerce Gary Locke and the new US Trade Representative Ron Kirk will also attend the summit marking the US-India Business Council’s (USIBC) 34th anniversary.
The two-day Synergies Summit on June 16-17 will focus on the opportunities that will flow from inherent synergies bolstering the world’s two largest free-market democracies, it announced.
“With the historic elections in both countries now behind us, USIBC aims to ‘bang the pots and pans’ and awake both governments as to the real work that now needs to be completed in order to keep the US-India commercial and trade relationship flourishing,” said USIBC president Ron Somers.
The summit “will be closely watched and widely attended by individuals and organizations that can help the US-India relationship regain the high ground, which we have all worked so hard to achieve,” Somers said.
Already 350 business leaders have registered for attendance, including a high-level Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) executive mission being led by CII’s new president, Venu Srinivasan and CII’s chief mentor, Tarun Das.
Headed by Pepsico’s Indian American CEO, Indra K. Nooyi, USIBC represents some 310 American companies, who have presence in India. Of them 220 firms figure in the list of Fortune-500.
The star-studded event will be inaugurated at The Newseum by diplomat-author Vikas Swarup, who will receive USIBC’s 34th Anniversary Award for “Cultural Ties That Bind” for his contribution illuminating aspects of society that facilitate a deeper understanding and abiding respect for humanity.
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- US business seeks free high-tech trade with India - Nov 02, 2010
- US-India trade group vows to strengthen business ties - Sep 15, 2011
- US-India trade group pushes for BIT - Jun 26, 2012
- Obama visit to highlight trade ties: US group - Oct 06, 2010
- US trade group sends life sciences mission to India - Jan 31, 2012
- Anand Mahindra gets global leadership award - Jun 13, 2012
- Anil Ambani, Azim Premji, Vikas Swarup to be honoured at Synergies Summit - Jun 09, 2009
- MasterCard's Ajay Banga to head USIBC - Apr 16, 2012
- US-India business conclave to boost commercial ties - Jun 20, 2011
- India offers `win-win' opportunity, says US chamber - Feb 16, 2011
- India, US launch SME forum to create jobs - Sep 22, 2010
- Corporate America seeks reforms, says budget not game-changing - Mar 17, 2012
- India partnership at heart of 21st century vision: US official - Oct 13, 2011
- Corporate America seeks a bold India budget - Mar 14, 2012
- US India trade group seeks investment treaty - Sep 22, 2011
Tags: abiding respect, advocacy organisation, anand sharma, anniversary award, arun kumar, business advocacy, chief mentor, confederation of indian industry, gary locke, hillary clinton, india relationship, indra k nooyi, list of fortune 500, pots and pans, representative ron, ron kirk, s commerce, trade relationship, us secretary of commerce, us trade representative