Swan Telecom defends itself in 2G case

August 5th, 2011 - 4:42 pm ICT by IANS  

New Delhi, Aug 5 (IANS) Swan Telecom, listed as an accused in the 2G spectrum, told a special CBI court Friday that it had no prior information about the documents and bank guarantees required for the issuance of licenses as it was already in public domain.

“The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) recommendation had already told the world that entry fee is not being revised,” Swan Telecom’s counsel Amit Desai said before special Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Judge O.P Saini.

“The required papers for the telecom licenses were already online, so the allegations that the company (Swan Telecom) had prior knowledge is incorrect,” he added.

Clarifying its role in the cut-off date, Desai said this issue has no relevance or connection with Swan.

“If there was a real conspiracy to be hatched, the company would have ensured the cut-off date was Sep 23 instead of Sep 25. Why would it (Swan Telecom) have even kept a little competition?” the defence counsel said.

He also added that if the company assumes the CBI allegation as true, this would be a “very interesting and strange conspiracy” where Swan lost seven circles for Unitech.

“So, should the company state that this was a conspiracy mixed with competition?” questioned Desai.

The company also rubbished the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) report on the allocation of airwaves.

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in Business |

Subscribe