Sugarcane farmers up in arms against price policyNovember 3rd, 2009 - 12:10 am ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Nov 2 (IANS) After expressing dissatisfaction with the Mayawati government’s announcement of a hike of Rs.25 per quintal in the price of sugarcane, the four million sugarcane farmers of Uttar Pradesh are now up in arms against the central government’s recently announced purchase policy.
Having staged two major demonstrations in Barielly and Garh-Mukhteshwar over the past two days, various representative bodies of sugarcane growers met in Ghaziabad Monday to mobilise a nationwide movement against the centre’s move.
Spearheading the campaign was V.M. Singh, president of All India Ganna Kisan Mazdoor Sangathan, who propelled the farmers to stop a goods train carrying 26,000 quintal of imported raw sugar being brought for processing in sugar mills at Shamli in Muzaffarnagar district in the early hours of Monday. Authorities were compelled to make the train return.
Singh warned of more such protests right across the state.
“While the state had not cared to taken into account the cost of production of the farmer, the central government had proved to be worse by declaring that in case the states fixed a purchase price higher than that recommended by the centre, the sugar mills would not be liable to shell out the difference. Instead, the difference would have to be borne by the respective state governments,” he said.
Taking a pledge that they will not sell their produce below Rs.280 per quintal to the sugar mills, the farmers have resolved not to allow the mills to function till their demands were met.
Farmers said that Rs.165 per quintal as state advised price (SAP) was lower than their cost of production that had gone up on account of this year’s drought.
- Now, Congress demands higher sugarcane price - Dec 12, 2009
- Mayawati announces steep hike in sugarcane price - Nov 08, 2011
- Mayawati accuses centre of ignoring sugarcane growers - Oct 31, 2009
- UP hikes sugarcane support price by Rs.40 a quintal - Nov 02, 2010
- UP farmers block train to protest against non-lucrative sugarcane prices - Nov 01, 2009
- Protesting farmers burn sugarcane crop in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 04, 2009
- Uttar Pradesh farmers call off stir for higher sugarcane price - Dec 18, 2009
- Sugarcane farmers want state control over pricing to go - Oct 29, 2009
- Uttar Pradesh sugar mill owners to oppose price hike - Nov 11, 2011
- Sugarcane stir hots up in Uttar Pradesh - Dec 17, 2009
- Farmers vandalise sugar mill offices over sugarcane pricing - Nov 19, 2009
- Congress bats for Uttar Pradesh's sugarcane farmers - Dec 16, 2009
- Farmers lay siege to Delhi to protest sugarcane prices (Lead) - Nov 19, 2009
- Farmers gather in New Delhi to protest sugarcane prices - Nov 19, 2009
- Uttar Pradesh farmers to sell sugarcane in other states - Nov 27, 2009
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,