Sudden rains delay flights in ChennaiJune 26th, 2010 - 9:42 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, June 26 (IANS) Sudden evening rains Saturday affected visibility, delaying the landing and take off of some flights at the airport here, an official said.
An official at the Chennai airport told IANS: “Visibility was poor due to the rains. Landing and taking off during rains also depends on the experience of pilots flying the aircraft.”
He said there is no water logging on the runways and normalcy has returned at the airport.
“Due to poor visibility for landing some aircraft were asked to circle around,” he added.
Around five planes were asked to delay their landing because of the rains.
According to a weather department official, 11.2 cm rain was measured at Nungambakkam and 25 cm at Meenambakkam areas of the city.
He said thundershowers are expected in few places in the city during the 24 hours to Sunday evening.
- Fog disrupts flight operations at Delhi airport (Lead) - Feb 17, 2011
- Plane removed, operations resume at Mumbai airport runway - Sep 05, 2011
- Dense fog affects road, rail, air traffic (Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Mumbai airport main runway shut till 11 p.m. Saturday - Sep 03, 2011
- Delhi airport gears to tackle foggy winter - Dec 20, 2011
- Major plane accident averted in Chennai - Sep 24, 2011
- Heavy rains lash Mumbai, Maharashtra (Lead) - Aug 28, 2011
- Dense fog disrupts flight operations in Delhi - Jan 14, 2010
- Plane skids off runway at Kochi airport, two injured - Aug 29, 2011
- Fireman as ATC! Tirupati airport officials to face action - Feb 03, 2012
- Heavy fog delays many flights at Delhi airport - Dec 25, 2010
- Air India flight skids off runway in Kanpur - Jul 20, 2011
- Fog envelops Delhi, flights disrupted - Feb 17, 2011
- Turkish Airlines plane skids; Mumbai airport shut till Saturday - Sep 03, 2011
- Patel blames heavy fog for flight delays - Dec 27, 2010