Subodh Gupta to feature in Christie’s post-war art auctionJune 24th, 2008 - 11:28 am ICT by IANS
London, June 24 (IANS) Thrilled with the sale of New Delhi-based contemporary artist Subodh Gupta’s work for $1.2 million at its auction earlier this month, Christie’s is featuring three works by him in the June 30 post-war art auction here, which will also include creations of S.H. Raza and Anish Kapoor. Gupta’s “Dubai to Calcutta - 19″, a 2006 work done in bronze and aluminium in three parts, is estimated at 150,000-200,000 pounds ($300,000-400,000). His “Curry 2, estimated at 250,000-350,000 pounds, is made of stainless steel, signed in Hindi and inscribed “Musafer”. Executed in 2005, this work is the first one from an edition of two.
On June 11, Gupta had moved into the record making million dollar bracket with the sale of his untitled installation of steel pots for $1.2 million at Christie’s sale of Indian contemporary art here.
The June 30 auction of 59 lots will also include Gupta’s “Idol Thief” - an oil on canvas that is dated 2006 and estimated at 180,000-220,000 pounds.
Raza’s “La Terre” has been estimated at a high of 1,000,000-1,500,000 pounds. Three works by Kapoor, a Britain-based Indian artist, will also be put up for sale along with the likes of Lucian Freud, Andy Warhol, Mark Rothko.
- Tyeb Mehta, Khoj, Pakistani art to lead Christie's Asian sale (With Image) - May 30, 2012
- Christie's unveils art works for Sep 15 sale (With Image) - Aug 13, 2010
- Tyeb Mehta's 'falling figure' to lead Christie's fall sale (With Image) - Aug 15, 2012
- Tyeb Mehta, Souza lead auction stakes at Christie's - May 26, 2011
- Rare Indian, Asian art at Christie's sale (With Images) - Mar 15, 2012
- Painting by Indian artist sold for a record price at London auction - Jun 12, 2010
- Husain, Raza highlights of Sotheby's Asian art sale - May 18, 2011
- Art auction market witnessing new generation of buyers (With Images) - Jul 11, 2012
- Tyeb Mehta's work sets new price record at Christie's - Jun 10, 2011
- Fake modern Indian art market fattens on budget buyers (With Images) - Aug 06, 2012
- 'Raza masterpiece unsold but art market stable' - Mar 22, 2012
- Tyeb Mehta work sells for $2.1 mn at Christie's South Asian auction - Jun 12, 2012
- Raza's 'Saurashtra' a seminal masterwork: Christie's (With Images) - Jun 12, 2010
- Lucian Freuds portrait of Francis Bacon fetches PS5.4m at Christie''s - Oct 20, 2008
- Auction houses picking on Indian heritage - Sep 29, 2011
Tags: andy warhol, anish kapoor, art auction, calcutta, christie, contemporary artist, curry, indian artist, indian contemporary art, lucian freud, mark rothko, musafer, New Delhi, oil on canvas, post war, raza, steel pots, subodh gupta, thief, war art