Students take up fight against smuggling, counterfeitingApril 30th, 2012 - 7:12 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 30 (IANS) Thousands of students from almost 100 schools in Delhi and the national capital region are participating in a five-day campaign against smuggling and counterfeiting, organisers said.
The campaign that began Monday aims to engage the youth of the country and involve them in the campaign against counterfeit and smuggled goods by creating awareness as to how these problems impact every citizen, they said.
The campaign is being organised by the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) committee on anti-smuggling and counterfeiting activities destroying the economy - FICCI-CASCADE - in association with a non-government organisation, Vikram Charitable Trust.
On the first day of the campaign that runs from April 30 to May 4, the participating students highlighted the problem of “counterfeit and smuggled goods and their impact on the economy through skits, painting competitions, essays and various other competitions”, FICCI-CASCADE said in a statement.
“This committee represents the best possible partnership between government, industry and society. All united towards a common ill,” said Anil Rajput, chairman of FICCI-CASCADE.
“Counterfeiting is a $600 billion a year problem, which has grown over 10,000 percent in the past two decades. It impacts all walks of life with share of fake/counterfeit medicines estimated at 15-20 percent of the total Indian market, soft drinks at 10 percent and fake cosmetics, toiletry and packaged foods at 10-30 percent,” Rajput added.
- 'Joint effort needed to eliminate fake goods' - Jun 13, 2012
- 10,000 students to campaign against smuggling, counterfeiting - Apr 22, 2012
- Counterfeit, fake and smuggled goods impacting 'Brand India' (Comment) - Jul 08, 2012
- India Inc. goes after $5-bn fake, smuggled goods threat - Nov 10, 2011
- Made in India, faked in China -- $5-bn loss - Jan 01, 2012
- Fake Olympic goods seized in Britain - Jun 08, 2012
- Fake goods cost Italian economy $23 bn a year - Jul 08, 2010
- 30,000 bottles of fake vodka seized in Russia - Jun 27, 2012
- Weak demand dampens business confidence: FICCI - Sep 02, 2012
- Getting real about killer fakes in air (Comment) - Mar 24, 2011
- Fresh trail links Karachi to fake Indian money in Nepal - Aug 12, 2011
- 'New competition policy will bring down food prices' - Feb 06, 2012
- FICCI wants flat 12 percent GST and all sectors under it - Aug 18, 2011
- UAE slaps over 1,400 fines for commercial fraud - Nov 30, 2011
- India Inc welcomes 100 percent foreign equity in single-brand retail - Jan 10, 2012
Tags: cascade, chambers of commerce, chambers of commerce and industry, charitable trust, citizen, competitions, cosmetics, counterfeit medicines, decades, ficci, government industry, government organisation, indian chambers of commerce, New Delhi, organisers, schools in delhi, skits, soft drinks, vikram, walks of life