Strike seeking separate Kosala state hits rail servicesJanuary 10th, 2010 - 4:38 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Jan 10 (IANS) Rail services in western Orissa were affected Sunday after activists of a political party blocked the tracks to press their demand for a separate Kosala state, police said.
Hundreds of activists of Kosala Kranti Dal blocked tracks at several places, including at Bolangir, Bargarh, Boinda, Rourkela and Kesinga, as part of their day-long agitation.
“Rail services were hit for a while at several places but have now become normal,” IG (railways) Pradeep Kapur told IANS.
More than hundred protestors courted arrest at Bolangir town, around 327 kms from here, party leader Pramod Mishra said, adding they will hold more such agitations in the coming days.
The Kosala Kranti Dal is demanding separate statehood for 11 western districts — Bargarh, Bolangir, Boudh, Deogarh, Jharsuguda, Kalahandi, Koraput, Nuapada, Sambalpur, Subarnapur and Sundergarh.
The region, known as Kosala, has been hit by poverty and backwardness and has a high infant mortality rate besides, witnessing a large number of deaths due to malnutrition.
- Demand for Kosala state picks up in Orissa - Dec 13, 2009
- Maps of separate Kosala state distributed in Orissa - Dec 18, 2009
- Thousands stage rally for a separate Kosal state - Dec 23, 2009
- Shutdown in Orissa against power plants - Aug 09, 2011
- Complete shutdown observed in Odisha (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Lawyers enforce 12-hour shutdown in Odisha - May 08, 2012
- Floods displace thousands in Orissa - Sep 10, 2011
- Orissa voter turnout pegged at 65.9 percent - Apr 17, 2009
- 26 hurt in Orissa train collision, a few trains cancelled (Lead) - May 04, 2011
- Protests over Mamata's budget hit Orissa rail services - Feb 26, 2010
- Cold persists in Odisha - Jan 14, 2012
- Communal tension casts shadow on Orissa harvest festival - Sep 04, 2008
- Odisha traders down shutters against FDI in retail - Dec 01, 2011
- Hundreds court arrest, mining hit in Orissa (Second Lead) - Jul 05, 2010
- Top Odisha Maoist leader held (Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
Tags: activists, agitation, backwardness, bargarh, deaths, ig, infant mortality rate, kranti, malnutrition, party leader, poverty, protestors, railways, rourkela, state police, statehood, western orissa