Strike hits mining in ChhattisgarhFebruary 28th, 2012 - 2:43 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Feb 28 (IANS) The nationwide strike called by the country’s trade unions has hit bauxite, coal and iron ore mining in mineral-rich Chhattisgarh, officials said Tuesday.
Reports coming in from the state’s northern Surguja district say that bauxite mining has been severely hit at Mainpat area, about 450 km north from here. Aluminium major BALCO, in which Vedanta Resources Plc holds 51 percent stake, has mines in Manipat.
Contracted miners gathered in groups with flags and banners at mines and raised slogans against an alleged anti-labour policy of the Indian government. Dozens of trucks transporting bauxite from Mainpat to BALCO’s plant in Korba town were stranded on forested roads due to the strike.
Officials in South Eastern Coalfields Ltd (SECL), the largest profit-making subsidary of the public sector Coal India Ltd, informed that coal mining works were halted at mines in Korba district, some 250 km north from here.
NMDC Ltd., India’s largest iron ore producer and exporter in the public sector, too has been affected by the strike, with ‘very low turnout’ of mine workers at two iron ore mining complexes - Kirandul and Bacheli - under Bailadila hills in Maoist violence-hit Dantewada district, some 420 km south of Raipur.
As many as 11 trade unions, having about eight lakh public sector employees, barring the railways, are participating in the strike which has been supported by the trade union wings of all major parties. The unions are demanding an end to contract labour, amendments to the Minimum Wages Act, an increase in gratuity payout and compulsory registration of trade unions within 45 days.
- Protesters halt BALCO's bauxite shipment - Jan 23, 2011
- Balco's bauxite mining displaces Chhattisgarh tribals - Dec 22, 2011
- Maoist shutdown hits NMDC iron ore transportation (Lead) - Dec 06, 2010
- Anti-railway Bastar protests halt iron ore shipments - Jan 18, 2012
- Maoist shutdown hits NMDC iron ore transportation - Dec 06, 2010
- Terror grips NMDC miners a day after Maoist attack - May 15, 2012
- NMDC resumes iron shipment from Chhattisgarh - Jan 23, 2012
- Anti-railway protest halts iron ore shipments (Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
- NMDC to open new iron ore mine in Chhattisgarh - Jul 29, 2011
- Maoist-called shutdown hits life in Chhattisgarh - Dec 04, 2011
- IVRCL arm bags Rs.1,300 crore highway project - Jan 30, 2012
- MPs visit SAIL mining site in Chhattisgarh - Jun 04, 2011
- Maoists' shutdown hits NMDC iron ore transportation - Jul 08, 2011
- Maoists kill two CISF men at Chhattisgarh mining site - Nov 16, 2011
- Maoist shutdown hits iron ore shipment in Chhattisgarh - Mar 23, 2010
Tags: balco, chhattisgarh raipur, coal india ltd, coal mining, compulsory registration, contract labour, eastern coalfields ltd, flags and banners, iron ore mining, iron ore producer, labour policy, maoist, minimum wages, mining works, public sector employees, subsidary, surguja, trade unions, two iron, vedanta resources plc