Strike hits Coal India mines in OrissaOctober 10th, 2011 - 3:33 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Oct 10 (IANS) The operations of state-owned Coal India Limited (CIL) in Orissa were hit Monday by a one-day strike called by its major workers’ unions, an official said.
There was no mining or transportation of coal from the two fields run by Mahanadi Coalfields Ltd (MCL), a CIL subsidiary.
Workers skipped work at all the mines in the Talcher coalfield area in Angul district and IB Valley Coalfield area in Jharsuguda district.
“The raising and transportation have been totally stopped,” Mahanadi Coalfields Ltd (MCL) public relations officer Dikken Mehera told IANS.
The daily output at CIL’s Orissa mines is estimated at 300,000 tonnes. Monday’s strike will cause a loss of about Rs.18 crore, he said.
Five leading unions of CIL — the Congress-backed Indian National Trade Union Congress (INTUC), the Left backed-CITU and AITUC, the Hind Mazdoor Sabha and the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-backed Bharatiya Mazdoor Sangh, have joined the strike.
The unions have been demanding Rs.25,000 as productivity-linked bonus or ex-gratia this year, but the management offered only Rs.17,000. Other demands include early wage revision.
- Coal India terms workers' strike for bonus illegal - Sep 24, 2011
- Dengue, labour strike hit Mahanadi Coalfields output - Sep 01, 2011
- Eight Orissa coal mines face closure (Lead) - Jun 23, 2010
- Eight coal mines in Orissa face closure threat - Jun 23, 2010
- Coal shortage forces NALCO to cut aluminium production - Sep 10, 2011
- Six Odisha coal mines closed - Sep 02, 2012
- Getting environmental clearance an issue: CIL - Nov 22, 2011
- CBI arrests two mine officials for corruption - Aug 08, 2009
- Hundreds court arrest, mining hit in Orissa (Second Lead) - Jul 05, 2010
- Strike paralyses parts of India (Afternoon Lead) - Sep 07, 2010
- Strike is 99 percent successful: INTUC chief Sanjeeva Reddy - Sep 07, 2010
- INTUC to protest against 'anti-worker policies' - Sep 08, 2010
- Coal supply disruption shuts power units, hits NALCO plant - Feb 23, 2011
- Employees seek end to coal crisis at NALCO plant - Sep 16, 2011
- Coal India to assess extent of illegal coal mining - Aug 22, 2012
Tags: angul, bharatiya janata party, bhubaneswar, bonus, citu, coal india limited, coal india limited cil, ex gratia, national trade union congress, orissa, productivity, public relations officer, sabha, sangh, subsidiary, trade union congress, wage revision, workers unions