Strike continues at Maruti’s Manesar plantJune 6th, 2011 - 5:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 6 (IANS) The workers’ strike at a Maruti Suzuki plant in Manesar in Haryana entered the third day Monday as talks with the management failed to achieve a breakthrough. Maruti says it has suffered a production loss of 1,800 cars.
“We are in talks with the workers to understand their demands. We had no idea on why they went on the strike in the first place as they did not give any intimation or notice,” R.C. Bhargava, chairman of Maruti Suzuki India, told IANS.
According to Bhargava, the company has suffered production volume loss of around 1,800 cars, including the 600 units on the first day of the strike Saturday.
“Our losses are currently pegged at around 1,800 cars since Saturday,” he said. But he said the halt in production at the company’s facility will have a short term impact.
“Currently dealers have enough units stock of petrol segment cars, while short term effect may be felt for some diesel variants, which in itself is only 20 percent of our entire portfolio,” he said.
The company’s facility at Manesar currently produces the company’s bestseller hatchback and sedan models like Swift, Swift Dezire, A-Star and SX4 on a single production line.
The majority of the automobile giant’s production takes place in its three Gurgaon-based facilities.
According to another Maruti official, the strike has the support of around 2,000-odd workers, who are demanding recognition of a separate worker’s union at Manesar.
The strike dented the company’s scrip at the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE). It fell by 1.86 percent to an intra-day low of Rs.1,210.
- Strike continues for fourth day at Maruti's Manesar plant - Jun 07, 2011
- Haryana bans Maruti workers' strike - Jun 10, 2011
- Maruti workers' strike continues, talks fail (Lead, correcting figure in paras four, six) - Jun 11, 2011
- Maruti Suzuki produces 200 cars at Manesar - Sep 06, 2011
- Fifth day of strike at Maruti's Manesar plant - Jun 08, 2011
- Strike at Maruti's Manesar plant enters sixth day - Jun 09, 2011
- Maruti workers' strike continues, talks fail - Jun 11, 2011
- Maruti strike to continue, other auto unions pledge support (Lead) - Jun 13, 2011
- Maruti's sales drop by 8.8 percent in June - Jul 01, 2011
- Maruti Suzuki strike called off as agreement reached (Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
- Talks fail, Maruti strike enters 10th day - Jun 13, 2011
- Maruti strike continues for sixth day, production hit - Oct 12, 2011
- Maruti strike continues, AITUC warns it could spread (Lead) - Jun 15, 2011
- Maruti strike spreads to other automobile plants (Second lead) - Jun 15, 2011
- Brief tools-down at Maruti's plant, no production loss - Jul 28, 2011
Tags: automobile, bestseller, bhargava, bombay stock exchange, breakthrough, intimation, manesar, maruti suzuki india, New Delhi, production volume, rs 1, s union, scrip, segment, swift, sx4, term impact, third day, variants, volume loss