Strike affects banking services in Punjab, Haryana (Lead)February 28th, 2012 - 7:08 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Feb 28 (IANS) Banking services across Punjab and Haryana were affected Tuesday as employees of various nationalised banks joined the nationwide 24-hour strike call given by 11 trade unions against the policies of the central government.
Bank branches remained closed or wore a deserted look at most places across Punjab because of the strike.
“The policies of the central government are not good for the health of the banking and PSU sector. We have been forced to go on strike,” said a bank employee on strike in Malerkotla, 130 km from here.
In Haryana, police had to escort state transport buses at some places Tuesday as Haryana Roadways employees joined the strike.
In Yamunanagar town, 80 km from here, striking Roadways staff deflated the tyres of some buses. However, the authorities, with the help of the police, were able to take out some buses from their depots and the police escorted these on their journey.
Across Haryana, passengers could be seen stranded at some bus stands as the strike affected normal life.
“I was to take the bus to Karnal but not too many buses are plying today. Now, I am stranded,” Bishan Dass said in Yamunanagar.
People wanting to take public transport to New Delhi and other places had a tough time.
“I was to reach Chandigarh today but I am stranded at the Delhi ISBT (inter-state bus terminus) as there are no buses plying,” technician Gulzar said.
Authorities in the state claimed that normal life was unaffected but admitted that workers of some departments like transport, power and others had joined the strike.
- Cops escort buses in Haryana as unions go on strike - Feb 28, 2012
- Haryana bus strike hits thousands (Second Lead) - Jun 08, 2011
- Thousands hit due to bus strike in Haryana (Lead) - Jun 08, 2011
- Himachal bus strike hits commuters hard (Second Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- Bus services paralysed in Haryana after staff strike - Mar 31, 2010
- Strike evokes partial response; banking, transport hit (Afternoon Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Shutdown affects life in Punjab (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Strike hits bus services in Punjab, Haryana - Sep 07, 2010
- Haryana Roadways employees' strike harasses people - Jun 08, 2011
- Strike evokes partial response; banking, transport hit (Roundup) - Feb 28, 2012
- Gurgaon-Chandigarh Volvo buses a hit - Apr 02, 2012
- Telangana strike paralyses transport services - Sep 19, 2011
- Shutdown: Mixed response in Punjab, poor in Haryana - Jul 05, 2010
- Poor response to strike call in Punjab, Haryana - Jul 05, 2010
- Shutdown cripples Andhra Pradesh - May 31, 2012
Tags: authorities, bank branches, banking services, bus terminus, central government, gulzar, haryana roadways, Health Science, inter state, isbt, journey, nationalised banks, New Delhi, public transport, state transport buses, trade unions, tyres