Stop panicking about inflation, will announce steps: Mukherjee (Lead)January 13th, 2011 - 5:16 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 13 (IANS) Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee Thursday said there was no need to panic about food inflation, adding that the government would announce steps to curb rising prices.India’s annual food inflation eased for the week ended Jan 1 but was still at a higher level of 16.91 percent, as per data made available by the commerce and industry ministry. The food inflation was 18.32 percent in the previous week.
“We have analysed the situation. We have indicated what further steps we are going to take. There should not be any unnecessary panic”, said Mukherjee.
Mukherjee had Wednesday held discussions with Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar, Planning Commission Deputy Chairman Montek Singh Ahluwalia and other senior government officials to finalise action on the issue.
“Last evening, steps were finalised. I think it should be announced today,” Mukherjee told reporters on being asked what measures the government was taking to combat high food inflation.
After five straight weeks of rise in food inflation rate, based on wholesale prices, the fall in the index was because of some tempering in prices of onions, from the peak of Rs.70 per kg.
Prices of other essential commodities like pulses and food grains too came down, but vegetables still remained costly.
- Government may announce measures to bring down prices - Jan 13, 2011
- India's food inflation slips, breather for government - Jan 13, 2011
- Mukherjee confident about controlling inflation - Jan 13, 2011
- PM-led meet on price rise ends inconclusively (Second Lead) - Jan 11, 2011
- Onions, vegetables still costly though food inflation drops (Lead) - Jan 20, 2011
- Food prices: Exports regulated, action against hoarders (Lead) - Jan 13, 2011
- Onions, vegetables continue to keep food inflation high - Jan 20, 2011
- Manmohan Singh to preside over meet on inflation - Jan 11, 2011
- Manmohan Singh holds meeting on price rise - Jan 11, 2011
- PM to meet RBI Governor to discuss monetary measures to curb inflation - Jan 12, 2011
- Now other vegetables join onions, eggs to send inflation soaring (Roundup) - Jan 06, 2011
- PM begins meet over price rise (Lead) - Jan 11, 2011
- Decline in food inflation not much consolation, says Mukherjee - Jan 20, 2011
- Govt. taking all steps to check price rise: Mukherjee - Jan 09, 2011
- PM meet on curbing prices inconclusive, another soon (Roundup) - Jan 11, 2011
Tags: agriculture minister, commodities, deputy chairman, finance minister, food grains, government officials, industry ministry, inflation rate, montek singh ahluwalia, New Delhi, onions, planning commission, pranab mukherjee, pulses, sharad pawar, straight weeks, unnecessary panic, vegetables, wholesale, wholesale prices