Stick to porting rules, TRAI tells VodafoneNovember 4th, 2011 - 9:46 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 4 (IANS) The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) Friday asked telecom service provider Vodafone not to reject number portability requests on the plea of contractual obligations. The telecom watchdog also sought a compliance report within seven days.
“The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India hereby directs Vodafone to comply with the provisions of the Telecommunications Mobile Number Portability Regulations, 2009, and direction dated May 24, 2011, and not to reject porting requests on the ground of contractual obligations contrary to the provisions of the aforesaid regulations and direction,” TRAI said in a statement.
“…furnish compliance report to the authority within a period of seven days,” it added.
According to TRAI, a porting request cannot be rejected on the basis of contractual obligations except if the subscriber has entered into a contract getting a bundled handset with a postpaid connection having an exit clause and the subscriber has not complied with the same, or in cases of corporate connections with exit clause with which the customer has not again complied with.
TRAI said that porting requests also cannot be rejected if a customer’s outstanding dues are less than Rs.10.
Mobile number portability (MNP) is the service which allows a mobile phone user to switch subscribers without changing his mobile number. It was launched on Jan 20 across the country.
- TRAI issues notices to operators for violating norms - Aug 17, 2011
- TRAI to fine operators for contravening MNP rules - Sep 19, 2012
- Can't stall number porting for dues of less than Rs.10: TRAI - May 25, 2011
- Idea Cellular gains maximum via mobile number portability - Nov 30, 2011
- Over 2.3 lakh MNP requests turned down in Delhi till July - Aug 19, 2011
- Idea Cellular biggest gainer of mobile number portability - May 06, 2012
- Over 38 lakh users opt for mobile number portability - Mar 09, 2011
- Over 50 mn opted for mobile number portability till May - Jul 05, 2012
- 32.79 mn subscribers opt for mobile number portability - Mar 06, 2012
- 45.89 mn subscribers opted for MNP till April: TRAI - Jun 27, 2012
- 59.31 mn subscribers opted for MNP till July: TRAI - Sep 09, 2012
- 29.24 mn subscribers opt for mobile number portability - Jan 30, 2012
- 25.84 mn subscribers opt for mobile number portability - Jan 09, 2012
- Mobile number portability not much of a hit - Dec 04, 2011
- Over 180.59 lakh opt for mobile number portability - Oct 20, 2011
Tags: compliance report, contractual obligations, corporate connections, handset, may 24, mnp, mobile number, mobile phone user, New Delhi, number portability, plea, provisions, seven days, subscriber, subscribers, telecom regulatory authority, telecom regulatory authority of india, telecom service provider, vodafone, watchdog