State-run bank staff to strike work June 12June 5th, 2009 - 5:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 5 (IANS) A section of officers of state-run banks are planning to strike work June 12 following collapse of wage negotiations with their employers, an association of bank unions has said.
“United Forum of Bank Unions (UFBU), comprising of all nine unions of employees and officers in the banking industry, has given a call to observe one day all India protest strike,” a union statement said.
It also threatened to intensify the agitation if its demands were not met.
The union, which claims membership of over a million staff, blamed the Indian Bank Association (IBA) for the collapse of the negotiations. The IBA is an association of 153 banks from the public and private sectors, as well as that are foreign-owned or urban cooperatives.
“We offered to sit together with IBA to find solutions provided there are no pre-conditions. However, IBA insisted that talks can be held only if UFBU withdrew the strike call,” the union’s statement read.
“UFBU reiterated that while they would be willing to discuss the issues with an open mind and avert the strike, such conditions for talks are not acceptable. In view of the rigid attitude and pre-conditions even for holding discussions, the UFBU unanimously decided to go ahead with the strike.”
The government Wednesday had advised IBA and UFBU to settle the issue within seven days.
- Bank employees to strike work Aug 5 - Aug 01, 2011
- Bank employees to strike work July 7 - Jun 21, 2011
- Bank operations come to a standstill, as employees go on a two day strike - Aug 06, 2009
- Bank staff plans strike against privatisation, law changes - Jun 28, 2011
- Israel nod for Quartet peace plan, urges Palestinian acceptance - Oct 02, 2011
- Strike cripples banking operations in Karnataka - Aug 22, 2012
- Bank unions to strike Friday - Aug 03, 2011
- Bank strike hits financial sector in India (Roundup) - Aug 22, 2012
- Banking activity in Bengal comes to standstill - Aug 22, 2012
- Banking services hit in northeast India - Aug 22, 2012
- Bank employees to strike work Aug 6-7 - Aug 03, 2009
- Bank strike hits customer services in Karnataka - Aug 23, 2012
- Banking activities in Bengal likely to be crippled for two days - Aug 22, 2012
- Banking services in Bengal paralysed for second day - Aug 23, 2012
- Bank staff plans strike against privatisation (Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
Tags: agitation, attitude, bank staff, bank unions, banking industry, banks, collapse, cooperatives, India, indian bank association, New Delhi, protest strike, public and private sectors, seven days, ufbu, united forum, wage negotiations