State Bank of Indore staff protest proposed merger with SBIJune 22nd, 2009 - 9:08 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, June 22 (IANS) More than 6,000 employees of State Bank of Indore went on a strike Monday to protest the proposed merger with State Bank of India, staff union leaders said here.
“All branches remained closed. The merger plan will not be tolerated,” said J.P. Jhanwar, the national general secretary of the bank’s Officers Coordination Committee.
“The merger is not appropriate as all associate banks are doing good work in their respective areas. Size alone does not make a bank globally competitive as is evident from the collapse of some big banks in the West,” he said.
The board of the Indore-based bank Friday passed a resolution approving the proposed merger with the State Bank of India (SBI).
State Bank of Indore managing director Soundara Kumar said in Indore: “I foresee the merger to be complete by December-end, subject to necessary government approvals.”
Employees were happy with the proposed merger, Kumar said, adding: “We had conducted an intranet poll which revealed that 90 percent of employees are in its favour as the move will be beneficial for all the parties concerned - the employees, the customers and the bank.”
According to him, the only people opposed to the merger were the union leaders and not the employees, who he said would now get enhanced retirement benefits such as pension and better career opportunities.
- State Bank of Indore employees threaten strike - Jun 20, 2009
- Banking services hit for second day in India (Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Suzuki Powertrain to merge with Maruti Suzuki - Jun 12, 2012
- Bank-strike disturbs services all over the country - Dec 16, 2009
- Government approves SBI-State Bank of Indore merger - Jul 15, 2010
- Bank employees' strike deferred - Jul 04, 2009
- No plans to merge state-run banks with SBI - Mar 16, 2010
- India's banking operations hit by nationwide staff strike (Roundup) - Aug 05, 2011
- SBI to acquire its subsidiary SBICI Bank - Jul 21, 2011
- Nationwide bank strike affects bank operations - Dec 16, 2009
- CBI seeks time to submit sanction against public servant - May 16, 2012
- Banking activities paralysed as strike begins - Aug 22, 2012
- Bank employees to go on strike Aug 22-23 - Aug 21, 2012
- Bank employees across India go on strike - Dec 16, 2009
- Vigilance probe against Corporation Bank - Jun 01, 2011
Tags: bank of india, banks, bhopal, career opportunities, collapse, coordination committee, favour, general secretary, managing director, merger plan, necessary government approvals, poll, protest, retirement benefits, sbi, staff union, state bank, state bank of india, state bank of indore, union leaders