State Bank of Indore employees threaten strikeJune 20th, 2009 - 7:57 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, June 20 (IANS) Employees of the State Bank of Indore will go on a day’s strike July 22 to protest the bank’s proposed merger with the State Bank of India, a union leader said Saturday.
S.K. Bindal, general secretary of the All India State Bank of Indore Officers’ Coordination Committee, said the merger proposal was approved despite strong opposition by the employees.
“The merger was not appropriate because all associate banks were doing good work in their respective areas. The size alone does not make a bank globally competitive as was evident from the collapse of some big banks in the West,” he said.
The union members Saturday demonstrated outside bank headquarters in Indore and divisional headquarters in Bhopal to protest the merger decision.
The board of State Bank of Indore Friday gave its nod to the merger plan and requested the management to go ahead with the proposal.
Bank managing director Soundara Kumar, however, said the majority of the employees were happy with the proposal.
“We conducted a poll which revealed that 90 percent employees are in its favour as the move will be benefit all parties concerned - the employees, the customers and the bank,” he added.
“I foresee the merger to be complete by December-end, subject to necessary government approvals,” Kumar said.
He said only a few union leaders were opposing the merger.
- State Bank of Indore staff protest proposed merger with SBI - Jun 22, 2009
- Suzuki Powertrain to merge with Maruti Suzuki - Jun 12, 2012
- Banking services hit in northeast India - Aug 22, 2012
- Banking activities paralysed as strike begins - Aug 22, 2012
- Bank employees to go on strike Aug 22-23 - Aug 21, 2012
- Banking services hit for second day in India (Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- India's banking operations hit by nationwide staff strike (Roundup) - Aug 05, 2011
- Bank strike hits customer services in Karnataka - Aug 23, 2012
- Employees Provident Fund approves Reliance-Nippon stake deal - Aug 07, 2012
- Vigilance probe against Corporation Bank - Jun 01, 2011
- Bank of Rajasthan employees protest against merger with ICICI - Jun 05, 2010
- Bank employees across India go on strike - Dec 16, 2009
- India's banking industry hit by nationwide staff strike - Aug 05, 2011
- Two-day bank strike from Wednesday - Aug 20, 2012
- Banking activity in Bengal comes to standstill - Aug 22, 2012
Tags: bank headquarters, bank of india, collapse, coordination committee, divisional headquarters, favour, general secretary, india state, managing director, merger plan, merger proposal, necessary government approvals, nod, opposition, state bank, state bank of india, state bank of indore, union leader, union leaders, union members