Starving hens now an offence in Madhya PradeshOctober 14th, 2011 - 3:37 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, Oct 14 (IANS) The Madhya Pradesh government Friday banned starvation-forced molting of hens which deprives egg-laying hens of food.
Starvation-forced molting is practised in egg production facilities throughout India in order to rejuvenate the reproductive tracts of hens and stimulate additional cycles of egg production.
The government directed the state department of animal husbandry and veterinary services to ensure that this practice is stopped, an official statement said.
With this, Madhya Pradesh has joined 23 other Indian states, including Goa, Tamil Nadu, Rajasthan, West Bengal and Maharashtra, which have banned starvation-forced molting of laying hens.
The Animal Welfare Board of India confirmed in March that starvation-forced molting is a punishable offence under the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, 1960, and ordered all egg production facilities to immediately discontinue the practice.
“Egg producers who continue to starve birds to induce molt must be prosecuted,” said N.G. Jayasimha, from Humane Society International, an NGO.
- NGO launches programme to protect animal rights - Jun 20, 2011
- Starving hens to hasten molting is now an offence - Mar 11, 2011
- Confining egg-laying hens in cages cruel: Dalai Lama - Sep 01, 2010
- Dalai Lama speaks out against caging egg-laying hens (Lead) - Sep 01, 2010
- Gurgaon hotel to buy 'cage-free' eggs only - Feb 17, 2010
- End animal testing for cosmetics: Paul McCartney - Jul 09, 2012
- Millions of birds dead, killed in Mexico flu outbreak - Jul 26, 2012
- Chicken lays double-yolked eggs in China - Jun 19, 2011
- Move over milk, silk, leather - the Indian vegan's here! - Sep 19, 2010
- Animals in confined shelters harm human health - Jan 11, 2012
- Regulate use of antibiotics on animals: Activists - May 19, 2011
- Eggs that bounce like rubber hit China markets - Feb 10, 2012
- Century on, end of a bullock cart saga in Mumbai (With Images) - Feb 08, 2012
- Bird flu panic abates in Meghalaya - Feb 11, 2012
- Campaign launched against animal testing for cosmetics - Apr 24, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,