Star Alliance defers Air India’s membershipAugust 1st, 2011 - 2:18 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 1 (IANS) In a setback to India’s flag carrier, Star Alliance has put off Air India’s entry into the global pact among 27 airlines as its executive board was unable to decide on the induction date in a meeting in Frankfurt late Sunday.
“We were informed about this by a letter sent by Star Alliance representatives,” said a senior official in Air India. “The letter said that our induction date would be decided later,” the official told IANS.
The letter was sent to Air India chairman and managing director Arvind Jadhav.
“The letter says the board was unable to take any decision. No other reason was given to us,” the official said, adding the executive board, nevertheles, endorsed the fact that Air India had met with pre-joining requirements and the only thing left was to fix a date.
The national carrier was extended an invitation to join Star Alliance in December 2007 in Beijing, with Lufthansa as the sponsor. But delays in software and other operational integration after the merger of Indian Airlines and Air India had put paid to plans.
Global interline packs like Star Alliance and Oneworld entail several benefits to member carriers like improved product offering, better service standards, access to new markets and premium customers and partnership with leading global carriers.
Formed in 1997, Star Alliance is a consortium of 27 airlines, including Lufthansa, Air Canada, Singapore Airlines, Thai Airways and Swiss, among other major airlines of the world. Its members have over 4,000 aircraft and serve 181 countries.
Currently, Air India operates flights to 63 domestic destinations and has a network of 33 international destinations with a fleet of 127, which includes Airbus A-319, A-320, A-321, A-310, A-330, Boeing 737-800, B-777 and B-747 apart from ATR-42 and CRJ aircraft.
- Star Alliance to decide Air India's induction date Sunday (Lead) - Jul 30, 2011
- New conditions by Star Alliance unacceptable: Ravi - Aug 10, 2011
- 'Talks progressing Air India's induction into Star Alliance' - Jul 18, 2011
- Star Alliance to decide on Air India's induction date - Jul 30, 2011
- Government officials, Star Alliance to talk next week - Jul 14, 2011
- Air India set to join Star Alliance by July 31 - Jun 06, 2011
- Kingfisher to join oneworld airline alliance from February - Dec 19, 2011
- SriLankan Airlines to join global airline alliance - Jun 11, 2012
- Kingfisher to join Oneworld alliance of global airlines - Feb 23, 2010
- Oneworld awarded best airline alliance award - Dec 02, 2011
- 100th aircraft to join Jet Airways fleet - Nov 17, 2011
- Lufthansa introduces new jet service, hopes to increase India market share - Aug 08, 2012
- Air India to join Star Alliance by July - May 20, 2011
- Finnair not averse to Kingfisher's direct flights to Helsinki - Sep 14, 2011
- Continental joins Star Alliance, but Air India waits on tarmac - Oct 28, 2009
Tags: air canada, air india, airbus a 319, airlines of the world, atr 42, b 777, boeing 737 800, crj, domestic destinations, flag carrier, global carriers, global pact, indian airlines, major airlines, member carriers, national carrier, operational integration, singapore airlines, star alliance, thai airways