Srinagar-Jammu highway opened to one-way trafficJanuary 9th, 2012 - 2:36 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Jan 9 (IANS) The Srinagar-Jammu highway, struck by a massive avalanche, was Monday opened to one-way traffic, allowing supplies to reach the snowed-in Kashmir Valley from the state’s winter capital Jammu.
Border Roads Organisation’s chief engineer Brigadier T.P.S. Rawat, who is supervising the road opening operations, said: “Traffic will move on the road from Jammu to Srinagar. No vehicles will be allowed to travel in the opposite direction.”
He said all the stranded vehicles on the highway were allowed to move towards Srinagar Monday morning. “Stranded vehicles carrying passengers and essential supplies to the valley have been allowed to move on priority basis on the highway,” Rawat told IANS.
“I have been personally supervising the road clearance operations from Patnitop to Banihal tunnel. Our boys had a tough time cutting through the 15-foot-high avalanche that struck the road yesterday (Sunday) at Panthal,” he said.
“Tonnes of snow was removed from the road by snow clearing machines despite the bone-chilling cold and strong winds in the Banihal sector of the road,” he said.
The Srinagar-Jammu national highway is the lifeline of Kashmir Valley, as all essential supplies are moved along it, and continued blockade of this crucial road often results in unscrupulous traders resorting to profiteering and black-marketing.
- Jammu-Srinagar highway open to one-way traffic - Jan 10, 2012
- Traffic restored on Srinagar-Jammu highway - Jan 14, 2012
- Srinagar-Jammu highway closed due to heavy snowfall - Jan 07, 2012
- One-way traffic on Jammu-Srinagar highway (With Images) - Jan 11, 2012
- Srinagar-Jammu highway closed for second day - Feb 05, 2012
- Snow cripples Srinagar-Jammu highway - Jan 13, 2012
- Fresh snowfall blocks Srinagar-Jammu highway again - Feb 15, 2012
- Srinagar-Jammu highway closed, avalanche warning - Feb 14, 2012
- Fresh snowfall blocks Srinagar-Jammu highway - Jan 06, 2012
- Snow closes Srinagar-Jammu highway for third day - Jan 08, 2012
- IAF sorties between Srinagar and Jammu begin (Lead) - Jan 21, 2012
- Srinagar-Jammu highway re-opened to traffic - Feb 16, 2012
- Snowfall again closes Srinagar-Jammu highway (With Images) - Jan 19, 2012
- One-way traffic likely on Srinagar-Jammu highway - Jan 20, 2012
- Kashmir cut off for third day, snowfall stops (With Images) - Jan 17, 2012
Tags: blockade, border roads, brigadier, chief engineer, clearance operations, kashmir, lifeline, marketing, massive avalanche, monday morning, patnitop, priority basis, rawat, strong winds, traffic, winter capital